Question New PSU choice

Jun 30, 2019
Hello,

I have recently had a new PC built but I've been told several times that Power supply is not good so I plan to send it back and get a better one. What would you think would be a good PSU for my specs?:

Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F @ 2.90GHz Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM:16,0 Go Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard :Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98) (U3E1)
GPU:8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (MSI)
HDD:931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA)
SSD:western digital WD blue, 1 TB
Monitor: Acer KG241Qbmiix FreeSync
PSU: EVGA 600 BR, 600W,
Case: xigmatek frontliner

Additional question: Is replacing a PSU difficult? I hear that you have to put thermal past.. I'm not super confident with computers...

Jul 13, 2019
Hello,

I have recently had a new PC built but I've been told several times that Power supply is not good so I plan to send it back and get a better one. What would you think would be a good PSU for my specs?:

Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F @ 2.90GHz Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM:16,0 Go Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard :Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98) (U3E1)
GPU:8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (MSI)
HDD:931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA)
SSD:western digital WD blue, 1 TB
Monitor: Acer KG241Qbmiix FreeSync
PSU: EVGA 600 BR, 600W,
Case: xigmatek frontliner

Additional question: Is replacing a PSU difficult? I hear that you have to put thermal past.. I'm not super confident with computers...

Jul 13, 2019
Hi Skylent,
I am also quite new to the computer building process. I have managed to successfully build two computers. My third is a more powerful computer but it, as yet, does not function. The experts say that you should always go with a star rated PSU. You seem to have a 600 watt PSU which is probably enough but I recently went to a computer expert who said I needed a 750 watt PSU. If you want to play games then, yes, you need more power. Anyway, read some magazines about computers and you will quickly get up to speed. Still, it easy to make mistakes. I just bought a CPU i5 Core and it was only compatible with a 300 series chipset Motherboard. I bought a 100 series motherboard. Regarding the thermal paste, I think you are confused with a CPU and a PSU. You have Thermal Paste on the heat sink for the CPU.
Best of luck

Reactions: Skylent
Jun 30, 2019
Hi Skylent,
I am also quite new to the computer building process. I have managed to successfully build two computers. My third is a more powerful computer but it, as yet, does not function. The experts say that you should always go with a star rated PSU. You seem to have a 600 watt PSU which is probably enough but I recently went to a computer expert who said I needed a 750 watt PSU. If you want to play games then, yes, you need more power. Anyway, read some magazines about computers and you will quickly get up to speed. Still, it easy to make mistakes. I just bought a CPU i5 Core and it was only compatible with a 300 series chipset Motherboard. I bought a 100 series motherboard. Regarding the thermal paste, I think you are confused with a CPU and a PSU. You have Thermal Paste on the heat sink for the CPU.
Best of luck

Hi! Yes, With this build I have an issue of GPU shutting down under load or even randomly and several people have blamed by bad PSU for being unable to give continuous output (even if the Watts are supposedly enough)

I had wanted to spare some money on the PSU but how uninformed I was! Haha
Good thing this issue forced me to do some troubleshooting and now I know what are the parts of a pc and what they are for!