New PSU - Computer wont turn on.

Stefan Mucha

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
-edited title, i originally said CPU instead of PSU lol-

Heya guys, this is a followup to this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2094371/integrated-graphics-gfx-card.html Ive a new problem now though so i a new thread was the way to go.

Ok so i bought a new PSU to replace my previous one which was making a burning smell (but currently still works fine).

I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ocz-Zt-Series--Zt750W-Eu-Supply/dp/B005XHE7MW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1399642622&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=OCZ+OCZ-ZT550W-UK+ZT+Series+750W+modular+PSU

So following advice from other posts on these forums, ive removed all the extra stuff. GFX card is out etc. I have only the atx cable connected (the long one) to the pc. Doing this now with the old PSU everything goes fine. With the new one however absolutely nothing happens, ive also tried with all the cables connected and also with just the atx and cpu cables to no avail.

The cable(s) are connected to both ends correctly and im way to afraid of killing myself to try the paper clip test on the new psu lol =]

Im left wondering if there is anything im not doing.. Since everything works fine with the old psu, surely that means its a problem with the new psu? I just got it and from amazon so i can only assume its in perfect working order.

Stefan Mucha

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Yea all 3 are connected.

I just did the paperclip test and the psu fan didnt spin, im pretty sure that means its broken.... I also peeked through the side with a torch and it looks flooded with fluff. Not dust it looks more like wool or wooly dust.

Factoring in that the boxs and bags that came inside the PSU box (that came inside an amazon delivery box and the psu box had no sticker seal) have scratches and indents all over them. Im really starting to think amazon sent me some dodgey equipment. Should i send it back?

TRENDING THREADS