Question New PSU Corsair RM750X - plays games fine but sometimes PC just shuts off without warning?

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I got a new PSU and new case as an upgrade to refresh the build. First week of usage PSU was fine, able to play games without problems. But when I watch youtube videos sometimes the PC just shuts off without warning. Windows event log says Kernal ID 41. Second week of usage looks fine, gpu on overclock doesn't appear to have any issues, but then while I was playing a game 30 mins in, PC shuts off again. Try to turn it back on then after 2-5 secs it turns off again. Tried this several times, same result. But if I leave my PC for like 5-10 mins, it turns itself back on. Could it really be PSU that the so called silent zero RPM feature not turning the fan on when needed? Or just a faulty PSU?

The rest of my build is the same, except the case and PSU. my old PSU was also a Corsair CX600 and it had no issues for past 8 years.

I also heard Corsair icue and Corsair Link may by the culprit?? I tried icue it did cause some weird issues, but i haven't noticed that much with Link. Though I am running MSI after burner, rivatuner and Link. Could be a software incompatibility?

I even reseated all power cables, gpu, ram, heatsink with new thermal paste, doesn't look like anything is loose or mobo touching the case etc....Even resetted cmos.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the heck is going on?

Intel i5 6500
Asrock Z170A-X1
Kingston DDR4 Hyper X 2133 mhz (2x4gb)
MSI R9 380
Corsair RM750X
Corsair Spec 6 case (new)
Kingston SSDnow 120gb
2 Seagate storage (SSHD and HDD)
Hyper 212 cooler
Corsair RGB lighting pro node

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The fact that after shutting down 2-5 seconds into the boot process it takes 5-10 minutes to turn back on suggests a possible faulty PSU.

Have you tried using the PC with your old PSU after the new one acted up? If the system works fine with the old one it could mean that the new one is the culprit.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
The fact that after shutting down 2-5 seconds into the boot process it takes 5-10 minutes to turn back on suggests a possible faulty PSU.

Have you tried using the PC with your old PSU after the new one acted up? If the system works fine with the old one it could mean that the new one is the culprit.

The odd thing is my old PSU has been running this same exact build without hiccups. I have been running a game for like 45 mins on thet RM750X as a last test and no issues so far despite the case itself is mildly warm and i think the PSU fan is running as I do feel cool air in the intake at the bottom.

The only difference between it is that the old CX600 has two separate PCIe cables while I am just using one PCIe cable with 2 6+2pin split on the same cable (the PSU only came with two PCIe cables and each has a split). But given the PSU is high performance, one cable should be able to uphold the voltage of the gpu. Afterburner is really only showing a max voltage at max overclock of only 1.12-1.2 v that shouldn't shut the pc off. Unless this is the cause of shut down then this means I have to split the PCIe cables, which kinda defeats having a modular PSU for a clean look.

Regardless, I will take my PSU back to the store for an exchange. Since I bought it like 2.5 weeks ago.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes you can play the game but the PSU being able to deliver enough volts/amps to the graphic card during demanding work load is one thing and it being bale to turn the on and boot the system from standby is another. You can try booting the components outside the case and see if the PSU does this again or not (trying to eliminate the possibility of a short). Also test the PSU on another system and see if it takes a long to turn on there too.

That 1.12-1.2 V afterburner shows is the voltages that goes through the GPU core not the 'power' the card (+rest of the system) consumes in terms of watts. Those R9 380s I think have a max wattage of around 200W under full load. The voltage that goes into the cards input and VRM being 12V that's around 15 amps of DC. Part of the power is delivered through the PCIE slot and some through 6+2 inputs.

Don't worry about the PCIE cable being a split one as a decent PSU can handle delivering the 2 sets of 12V on a split cable it's designed and rated for. That PSU is rated for a total of 62.5 amps on the 12V rails, thus the 750W label.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Yes you can play the game but the PSU being able to deliver enough volts/amps to the graphic card during demanding work load is one thing and it being bale to turn the on and boot the system from standby is another. You can try booting the components outside the case and see if the PSU does this again or not (trying to eliminate the possibility of a short). Also test the PSU on another system and see if it takes a long to turn on there too.

That 1.12-1.2 V afterburner shows is the voltages that goes through the GPU core not the 'power' the card (+rest of the system) consumes in terms of watts. Those R9 380s I think have a max wattage of around 200W under full load. The voltage that goes into the cards input and VRM being 12V that's around 15 amps of DC. Part of the power is delivered through the PCIE slot and some through 6+2 inputs.

Don't worry about the PCIE cable being a split one as a decent PSU can handle delivering the 2 sets of 12V on a split cable it's designed and rated for. That PSU is rated for a total of 62.5 amps on the 12V rails, thus the 750W label.

I brought the PSU back to the retailer. The technician their tested the unit it was faulty. The 12v rail was only supplying 5v. The 3.3v was actually only 3.0 and 5v was only 3.2v. So the unit was the culprit.

Got an exchange for same model the 12v is 12.2v and 3.3 is at 3.3v and 5v is 4.9 which is what it should be.