Question New PSU Crashes PC

Hi guys, i've been on a panic here. Yesterday i bought a Corsair CX550 (Grey Label) to replace my VS450 2012. At first it worked so great, but after one day, i played a game and after like 30 mins, the pc shuts off and turning on again.

Without any wonder, I did immidiately test Aida64 Stress FPU and furmark. Both i did it Separately and Together, and theres no luck. CPU stress alone, GPU stress alone, both tests done together, they always causes the pc to shut off, and turn on again. Last time i use my VS450 2012, there is no problem, it could even run a long cpu fpu test and furmark in a very hot weather without any problems, even with my gpu overclocked. Could you guys help me figure this problem out? I used my last bit of money for it before saving for an ssd :(

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1240 v2
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-HD3
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB DDR3 1600mhz
GPU: MSi GTX 1050 2G OC
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx 400S
Storage: SSD Vgen 128gb + WD Blue 1TB (@ 2018)
PSU: Corsair CX550 Gray
Casing: Cube Gaming Galve
Fan Casing: 3x Zalman ZA1225ASL (front), 1x Aerocool Frost 12 (rear)

It all points onto the PSU. I might have got a defective unit.
should i try to RMA it or just buy a new one? i am aiming at FSP HV PRO 550w, since i alrd use them on my friends pc that got better specs than mine. this is funny cause i did use it for one day daily tasks like usual and its good, next day i played one game thats gpu intensive and it shuts down, not able to do fpu test for long as usual even furmark. Thats weird cause my VS450 2012 (orange label) could do both of the test together just fine in an extended period

beeko

Commendable
Oct 28, 2018
Why did you buy a new PSU if the old one could handle it? The CX series is the most basic one from Corsair, maybe you can still return the unit to the shop where you bought it, usually shops have like accept returns 30 days or so.. I have TX550m and it works flawlessly, so maybe consider TX instead of CX

OR you could reinstall windows which usually fixes most issues

Why did you buy a new PSU if the old one could handle it? The CX series is the most basic one from Corsair, maybe you can still return the unit to the shop where you bought it, usually shops have like accept returns 30 days or so.. I have TX550m and it works flawlessly, so maybe consider TX instead of CX

OR you could reinstall windows which usually fixes most issues
its not a Software probs and i know bcs i reinstalled windows everytime theres a corruption in my system. Also why a new psu? Because i have 2 pc, one for personal, one for family, also going to buy if only my replacement also fails. Also if i got the money i would just go straight Go Seasonic Prime the titanum ones, thing is i have low income since i dont work yet, just kinda collecting and earn money from helpin freelancing.

Well, GPU is one power-hungry unit. If PSU does not provide sufficient power - software will not fix it. Watt rating is not very informative w/o distribution table...
It only takes like 130-135w in total... my 1050 only sucks 70W and my cpu sucks 57w Max (40w or less for daily gaming). I was a bit sus when i stress test fpu, the vtt voltage dropped for a sec and bump again after some seconds. since all of this never occurs on my ol' vs450 orange label, it could be the cx psu faulty

Why did you buy a new PSU if the old one could handle it?

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.

its not a Software probs and i know bcs i reinstalled windows everytime theres a corruption in my system. Also why a new psu? Because i have 2 pc, one for personal, one for family, also going to buy if only my replacement also fails. Also if i got the money i would just go straight Go Seasonic Prime the titanum ones, thing is i have low income since i dont work yet, just kinda collecting and earn money from helpin freelancing.

You don't need a Prime Titanium. The CX is adequate. Sounds like you just got a bad one. Maybe the fan isn't spinning and it's overheating? What happens if you operate the PSU outside of the case?

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.
bcs this psu is for my personal pc, while the vs450 is for family pc.

You don't need a Prime Titanium. The CX is adequate. Sounds like you just got a bad one. Maybe the fan isn't spinning and it's overheating? What happens if you operate the PSU outside of the case?
I was joking on prime titanium but might grab one some day, also the fan is spinning, and the psu is inside my case. no overheating bcs ac is on, my case got alot of airflow and the temp is pretty good here (around 20°C i guess). I just hope the replacement aint a bad replacement :/.

TRENDING THREADS