[SOLVED] New PSU for a "high end" build

Sep 29, 2020
HI! I currently have the Seasonic Focus GX750. Due to the new launch of RTX 3090 and the need for 3x8 pin i have chosen to upgrade my PSU. Some say 750 W is enough, some say 850W is preferred.

See this post i made on a thread over at linustech forum, and the answers it got.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...uestion/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-14059556

I have:

mobo: Gigabyte x570 Aourus elite

CPU: 3900X, stock. Might go with 4900x once that launches. NHD-15 cooler, 2 fans

RAM: Trident Z neo 3600mhz 32gb (16x2)

GPU: Asus Rog Strix 3090 factory OC, 3x8pin 450w draw limit (currently have 2080ti)

Peripherals1: 5x 140mm fans, all the same(came with case),

Peripherals2: Razer huntsman keyboard, Razer viper ultimate mouse, Corsair and sennheiser headsets, wireless but they charge from usb slot every day

Peripherals3: Deepcool GH-01 A-rgb. GPU holder with RGB powered by motherboard.

Peripherals4: Odyssey G9 screen, and Asus PG27VQ Screen. I don't know if they draw any power for their usb hubs so i included them.

So that is my build. I currently have the Seasonic GX750w, and i am looking to upgrade.

Money isn't an issue (to some extent), i would like something that i can say is "one of the best" or "the best". And also it should be Future-proof with the wattage. I highly doubt i will ever overclock stuff myself, however i will be "chasing the tech" and getting new products in the next few years. I don't know anything about multi-rail, single rail etc.

What do you guys think? Appreciate the help!

Solution
Most people will say Seasonic is the best of the best
'Most people' are rarely correct. Seasonic is an OEM, with a quite wide product stack, with varying levels of quality and performance, you can't say 'Seasonic is the best' when they offer more than one product. Same with all other OEMs and brands, some products of some OEMs are going to be good, some otherwise, what you should do is to look at specific product performance and decide for your self, not to follow a notion that some OEM is the best or worst no matter what.
And on the matter of Prime tripping with RTX3080 i think we can expect a statement from Seasonic in the coming days. Until then, if you really need a new PSU right now, better to stay safe and get a PSU from...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Thing is with Seasonic PSUs we're really not sure if it isn't going to trip with RTX3080 again as it were with AMD Vega. There are some reports of such problems with Prime Platinum / Titanium for example so i'd be wary buying Focus for RTX3090, stay away from Seasonic for the time being until there would be more RTX3080/3090s in the wild and we'll have more data. Meanwhile, these would be my recommendations :
Super Flower Leadex III - not the cheapest vendor from China, but the one for 150$
Enermax Revolution D.F
Thermaltake TP GF1

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Most people will say Seasonic is the best of the best
'Most people' are rarely correct. Seasonic is an OEM, with a quite wide product stack, with varying levels of quality and performance, you can't say 'Seasonic is the best' when they offer more than one product. Same with all other OEMs and brands, some products of some OEMs are going to be good, some otherwise, what you should do is to look at specific product performance and decide for your self, not to follow a notion that some OEM is the best or worst no matter what.
And on the matter of Prime tripping with RTX3080 i think we can expect a statement from Seasonic in the coming days. Until then, if you really need a new PSU right now, better to stay safe and get a PSU from another OEM, there are enough good stuff besides Seasonic.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There's the various Corsair at the R-level or higher. In order from very good to among the best possible:
  • RM
  • RMx
  • RMi
  • HX
  • HXi
  • AX
  • AXi
Though, honestly, it might do to hold off, given the capacitor issues that have come up on the 30-series cards. Plus, honestly, I take it personally when scalpers buy up cards to mark up the prices, so it might do to wait until there's better supply (and let all the early-adopters find all the problems that get resolved later).

@Juular - I remember the issues some of the Seasonics had with Vega - are there reports of trouble with Ampere on their PSUs already? Have any links to them (ideally if they're available in English, though if need be, I can always run through a translator)

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
@Juular - I remember the issues some of the Seasonics had with Vega - are there reports of trouble with Ampere on their PSUs already? Have any links to them (ideally if they're available in English, though if need be, I can always run through a translator)
One report is from LTT team, 850W Prime Platinum tripped with RTX3090, second is from Tweakers.net discord, their 650W Prime Titanium tripped with RTX3080 and R9 3900X. So far not many reports as you see but Ampere is barely there still so we may see more if that's really the case with Seasonic PSUs again. And we may hear something from Seasonic in the coming days.

Feb 8, 2020
I've just built rig with Dark Power Pro 12 1200W. I wasn't able to find any "deep" review, but it was only PSU >1000W available in store around (well, I got a sale there). I used Fractal Design Define 7 XL case. There are plenty of greatly sleeved cables in the box, I also asked Be Quiet to send me 12pin cable as it was not in the box.

Feb 8, 2020
Can't agree more. But I only had two options, HX1000i for 220€ or DPP 12 at second store for 230€ after sale, as PC had to be built till tomorrow. Almost every good PSU is sold out here :/