[SOLVED] New PSU for old HTPC -- Please advise

monge89

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
I recently used an external enclosure to test the 4 hard drives from an HTPC I built 12 years ago and haven't used in about 10 years. To my surprise, all the data on the HDDs is still good. I was able to play all the movies on them on my laptop from the enclosure. However, when I tried to power up the old HTPC, it wouldn't turn on. So I'm guessing the 450 watt Corsair PSU from that computer is bricked. I want to get a new PSU to see if I can get the old HTPC running again, so I don't have to buy a new MB, RAM, GPU etc. So my question is, what's the cheapest PSU I could get to work with this system. Here are the components:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA775

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 GDDR4 512MB

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16K

Case: SilverStone Lascala LC17 SST-LC17B ATX

Just want to make sure that what I get is compatible with all these parts. Everything ran without issues on the old 450W PSU. I'm not planning on upgrading the system anytime soon, as it's only for playing movies, no games. I'm guessing 500W will be enough. Would the bronze tier be sufficient, or should I spend extra for gold? Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

I recently used an external enclosure to test the 4 hard drives from an HTPC I built 12 years ago and haven't used in about 10 years. To my surprise, all the data on the HDDs is still good. I was able to play all the movies on them on my laptop from the enclosure. However, when I tried to power up the old HTPC, it wouldn't turn on. So I'm guessing the 450 watt Corsair PSU from that computer is bricked. I want to get a new PSU to see if I can get the old HTPC running again, so I don't have to buy a new MB, RAM, GPU etc. So my question is, what's the cheapest PSU I could get to work with this system. Here are the components:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA775

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 GDDR4 512MB

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16K

Case: SilverStone Lascala LC17 SST-LC17B ATX

Just want to make sure that what I get is compatible with all these parts. Everything ran without issues on the old 450W PSU. I'm not planning on upgrading the system anytime soon, as it's only for playing movies, no games. I'm guessing 500W will be enough. Would the bronze tier be sufficient, or should I spend extra for gold? Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.
Before you do that replace the bios bat there only a few bucks.