New PSU for Vega 56

Mike_651

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Community,

I need to replace my old PSU with a new one due to not having any 8 pins. I was wondering if a EVGA B3 850W would work? I would prefer to stay at or below $100. Please help.

M

4745454b

Titan
While the full Vega is a 300W+ GPU, the Vega 56 is only ~225W or so. Usually less. Even with a 100W CPU and everything else you'd need less than 400W or so for the entire system. A 550W should handle that just fine. 850W is just a dumb idea. A 550W B3 would work great.

[strike]The EVGA 550W B3 is a better unit than the CX650M and is currently at a great price on Amazon. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $59.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 14:32 EDT-0400[/strike]

*Edit: It's not that much better, but it is fully modular scores the same in performance and scores higher in build quality than the CXM.

^ yeah , the rmx costs twice as much.
The b3 ? Still reserving judgement , jonnyguru rated it great , yet toms managed to physically blow up more than one 450w unit in testing.

When I see more tests I may recommend it , till then though it's not on my radar personally.
I'd recommend the b2 over the b3 100%.

Fair enough. Agreed that B2 was better than B3 in at least 2 respects; dual-ball bearing fan and higher rated operating temp.

True but I just assume that OP doesn't plan on overclocking the GPU. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This is a good point, I read the Vega 56 can be flashed with Vega 64 BIOS and draw much more power while outperforming stock Vega 64 when overclocked. Maybe a bigger PSU would be desired. In which case I'd recommend a better unit than the CX650M.

Yes the RMx cost twice but it is also a tier 1 psu, the CXM is only a tier 3, that alone is worth the premium price.

Mike_651

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I would like to overclock it some time in the future if it means I can keep the gpu longer. I may also change to a 4k display when 4k monitor prices go down too.

M

Tier what. The only reason I recommended the RMx is because it was $20 cheaper and better than a 850W B3. The new CXM is quite stable despite a lower voltage 3.3V rail, making it a good unit.

I was saying if overclocking with Vega 64 BIOS drawing close to 400W I'd recommend a better, or at least bigger, unit than the CX650M. I'm sure it would do fine, I would just prefer more headroom in load capacity or higher max operating temp.

Yes, the TXM has the higher 50C *max operating temp. +1

Mike_651

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Thank you all for the input. I will most likely go with a G2 or a Corsair. Would like but not need gold quality. Still deciding on 650 or 750. For the future.