New PSU, GPU shuts off when starting any game

Jan 25, 2019
I recently bought a new PSU because my old one died. I bought a 650w seasonic focus+ platinum, i've installed it and the PC starts up fine, but whenever i start up a game, for example arma 3, the screen goes instantly black when i load into the main menu. When watching youtube the same thing happens after 1-2 hours, the screen goes black and says no input.

System specifications:
ASUS Z170 Pro gaming motherboard
i5 6600k 3.5GHz processor
GeForce GTX 970 GPU
8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX RAM
Current PSU: Seasonic 650W FOCUS+ 650 Platinum
Previous PSU: Silverstone 700w

I've completely reinstalled the drivers for the GPU, i have cleaned the PC of dust with compressed air, made sure the cables are fully seated and correctly placed, the voltages for the 12v, 5v and 3v cables i think are fine (12.096v, 5.000v and 3.264v respectively, according to my bios). I've tested another screen with a different cable, same result, no input. The temparatures are fine, GPU runs at 40c and CPU runs at 30-40c

The PSU should supply enough power, as the PC had a 650w psu at first before it failed and i installed the 700w one.

The GPU, CPU and RAM are 4 years old and have been used quite a bit, many hours a day.

I'm running out of ideas, is my GPU dying or is the PSU faulty or something?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If the issue would be with PSU, your whole system would shut down once you put a load on GPU. Since your old PSU died, it is very likely it also partially fried your GPU. To test that, put your GPU to another working system and test it in there.

You can also test it with your on-board GPU. Pull GTX 970 out of the PC and connect your monitor to your MoBo. Watch some youtube or launch a game and look if you still get the black screen. I'm pretty sure you won't. While HD 530 (on-board GPU) may not be powerful enough to run your games, you should be able to get to the Main Menu at least.

Jan 25, 2019

I pulled out the GPU and i can now watch youtube and launch the game. Although it makes my system lag like hell it still doesn't turn off input to the screen. So i guess the GPU was the culprit and i'll have to get a new one.

Thanks for your help

TRENDING THREADS