[SOLVED] New PSU | HDD & liquid cooler no longer working.

Zephis

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Hi, I got a new psu. Amazing.

I put the PSU in

I used the old cable from my previous PSU for the SATA which powered (cpu liquid pump, ssd, and hdd,)

PC would not turn on but would CLICK, POWER, OFF, in less than a second.

so I was like DAMN - Googled it, not supposed to use the same wires as the old PSU.

Used all news wires from the new PSU. My PC turned on

HORAY!!! no. It wasn't detecting my other hard drive in the BIOS so I was like... that's weird since I know it's there plugged in. I had to reset my windows because my SSD would no longer boot up windows. Anyways fast forward I got my PC running windows hours later on my SSD fresh reinstall. (SSD is still working unlike HDD)

BUT it felt off, it felt stuttery, like it was bottlenecking, MY CPU WATER AIO COOLER from corsair isn't working

My i7-7700k is Rockin a 78-80 Celcius temp while idle,

Anyways I'm back to using my old PSU with old PSU cables because I wanted to test it since idk.

Same problem, HDD doesn't work, CPU corsair aio water cooler doesnt work, Causing overheating Causing Bottlenecking.

Everything else seems to be working fine even my SSD which was also on the same SATA as the HDD and Cooler.

I'm just curious as to what happened, it kinda sucks. Did I ruin these parts?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oo4s8bREiutZFKOvYJrBZUA
^my specs

Last edited:
Solution
What probably happened was the proprietary connector of the old SATA cable was not pinned the same as the new PSU SATA cable and it damaged what was on the same cable except the SSD.

This is the reason why you don't use cables from another PSU.

If you test the HDD on another system, another cable from the PSU etc and it still doesn't work it's dead.

Same for the AIO. If the pump doesn't work anymore.
What probably happened was the proprietary connector of the old SATA cable was not pinned the same as the new PSU SATA cable and it damaged what was on the same cable except the SSD.

This is the reason why you don't use cables from another PSU.

If you test the HDD on another system, another cable from the PSU etc and it still doesn't work it's dead.

Same for the AIO. If the pump doesn't work anymore.

Solution