[SOLVED] new psu help

Jul 27, 2019
ok so my friend buyed new psu and there is some sort of plastic smell its strong when sits on his chair he smells it aswell his father once smelled it when he was at hall which is kinda far away so im geusing there could be something bad as i researched already a bit as i saw that smell can cause lung damage what should i do ignore it becouse its new and will it go away or change it i have a warrenty so idk what to do

Electronics, especally PSUs, can emit a number of different smells.

When they wave solder a PSU, there is flux used to help remove and prevent oxidation and improves the viscosity of the solder. This flux leaves a residue on the PCB that can be cleaned off, but it's almost impossible to clean it all off without damaging some SMT. When the PSU is run, and it gets hot, this flux heats up and emits a smell (smells like burnt plastic). Eventually, all of the flux is burned off and the smell goes away. But it takes time.

On that same subject....

There is "no-clean flux" out there, but it's not commonly used because it costs twice as much. FYI: If you've had electronics that smell "fruity", that's because they use no-clean flux.

And FYI: If you have electronics that smell like isopropyl alcohol, that's because they used the alcohol to clean the flux.

Electronics, especally PSUs, can emit a number of different smells.

When they wave solder a PSU, there is flux used to help remove and prevent oxidation and improves the viscosity of the solder. This flux leaves a residue on the PCB that can be cleaned off, but it's almost impossible to clean it all off without damaging some SMT. When the PSU is run, and it gets hot, this flux heats up and emits a smell (smells like burnt plastic). Eventually, all of the flux is burned off and the smell goes away. But it takes time.

On that same subject....

There is "no-clean flux" out there, but it's not commonly used because it costs twice as much. FYI: If you've had electronics that smell "fruity", that's because they use no-clean flux.

And FYI: If you have electronics that smell like isopropyl alcohol, that's because they used the alcohol to clean the flux.

Hi. I recently purchased a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750 PSU. A few days ago, when I unboxed it, I noticed a chemically smell that has put me off installing it. I can still return it to Micro Center but from what I'm reading here, maybe the smell isn't a problem at all? What do you recommend? Should I install it or maybe return it? This is a new build with new components (motherboard, cpu, ram, m.2 pcie ssd) and I'm a bit concerned that a faulty PSU could fry my other new components.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi. I recently purchased a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750 PSU. A few days ago, when I unboxed it, I noticed a chemically smell that has put me off installing it. I can still return it to Micro Center but from what I'm reading here, maybe the smell isn't a problem at all? What do you recommend? Should I install it or maybe return it? This is a new build with new components (motherboard, cpu, ram, m.2 pcie ssd) and I'm a bit concerned that a faulty PSU could fry my other new components.
You are best starting your own thread my friend :)