[SOLVED] New PSU Installation

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 28, 2020
I installed a new psu and when I went to turn on my computer, it kept restarting. Is this normal? The computer did eventually turn on after I unplugged and replugged everything a few times because I thought something was wrong.

Also, do I need to wait before turning on my computer after installing a new psu (then pressing the on switch)?

The motherboard cable also seems very tense, should I order new cables? I feel like it might give out sooner or later.

The psu is a Corsair HX1200, it has a 0 rpm mode, is this beneficial or bad? I feel like if the fan was moving all the time at low rpm that is better, but I'm not even sure how to get it to turn on.
The psu is a little warm, but I'd like it to be colder for the most part.

Last edited:
Solution
4.75v is the minimum according to the ATX spec. I wouldn't want to see anything below 4.8 for the 5v. ATX spec also says the 12v is good down to 11.4v, but we don't agree, and neither does another reference from the ATX spec which says it needs to be within 5% of the nominal value, and we tend to fail and discard at 11.7v. I have seen plenty of systems have full accountable functional problems with less than 11.7v or less than 4.8v.
4.75v is the minimum according to the ATX spec. I wouldn't want to see anything below 4.8 for the 5v. ATX spec also says the 12v is good down to 11.4v, but we don't agree, and neither does another reference from the ATX spec which says it needs to be within 5% of the nominal value, and we tend to fail and discard at 11.7v. I have seen plenty of systems have full accountable functional problems with less than 11.7v or less than 4.8v.

Solution
Sep 28, 2020
The new psu booted perfectly. It didn't have to reboot the computer a few times before starting up either.
If there is a problem, I'll be sure to update you guys.

Sep 28, 2020
The seasonic prime is still working perfectly, I've been playing some of the games I rebooted in and no signs of reboots yet.

Apparently EVGA has upgraded my supernova g3 850w to a 1000w, so I guess that's a plus. At least that's what I saw in their shipment details.

I'm most likely going to check voltages for every psu I order after experiencing a failed psu on arrival though.

It's not a bad idea at all. It still won't always tell you something is wrong, because it might not become evident for a week, or a month, or three years, but it will at least tell you if there is PROBABLY something wrong with it out of the box, and that's certainly worth knowing.