Question New PSU issue

Dec 31, 2020
Hey all! I just bought a new Power Supply for my PC. I swapped out the old one and plugged in the new one, and now I'm having an issue. When I start up the unit, the PSU starts clicking repeatedly before turning off a short while later.

I've looked around for answers, and I see people saying it could be a shorting out issue. After some messing around, I found that it has something to do specifically with my CPU wire. If I have both of the 4x4 pins plugged into my mobo, the clicking happens. If I only plug in the left 4x4 but not the right, or even unplug both, the computer will be powered without clicking or powering down (though nothing can be seen on my monitor obviously without the CPU).

I tried unplugging and plugging the wire as well as everyone other wire going to the PSU. I also tried using my old PSU's CPU wire, but if i plug that in it doesn't start at all (a compatibility issue I'd assume?)

So I don't know how to fix this. Is it my motherboard? Are the pins somehow messed up? The only thing i haven't tried yet is hooking back up the old PSU and seeing if it runs, but I don't know if I have the fortitude to do that right now haha. I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas before that.

Thank you!

My hardware:
PSU: EVGA supernova 650 G3
Old PSU: corsair RM 750x
MoBo: ASUS PRIME Z270-K LGA 1151 Intel Z270
CPU: I5-7600K

Dec 31, 2020
You didn’t reuse any of the cables from the R RS M750x?

I didn't at first, but I did swap in the old CPU cable after trying everything I listed. And it wouldn't boot up, which I now know was an awful idea apparently. But I've been messing around with it with the intended cable and nothing is different, but I did figure out some random things.

At the moment, with everything plugged in power is steady but every 30 seconds there's one click and the PC restarts. So no longer constant clicking