[SOLVED] New PSU made my cpu break?

Dec 2, 2020
Im not a computer genius, but I can read instructions. I recently got a new power supply for my computer and tried plugging it in. I went from 500 watts to 750. I plugged in everything that was plugged in before, but somehow my computer was running slower than before. Even changing the size of windows was having lag. I decided to go back to my old psu to see if where the issue was, and then when I powered it on, the cpu on the motherboard was red. I hadnt ever touched the cpu, so I'm wondering where the problem could have came from. Do I need a new cpu, or even a new motherboard?
cpu: Ryzen 5 3400g with radeon vega 11 integrated graphics
motherboard: msi b450 gaming
psu: aresgame agv750 from thermaltake smart500W

Solution
Per your response to @Karadjgne no wires were reused. That is good. Eliminates one set of possibilities; i.e., mismatched wires.

Because the problem has continued and worsened go a step further with the wires and connections.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Carefully inspect all connectors and wires. Closely inspect all along the length of the new PSU's wires. Do not open the PSU.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors are fully and firmly in place. Ensure the the wires going into the connectors are all securely in place. No wiggle or looseness. Completely inserted - no bare copper showing.

Next use the User Manuals to double check the physical installation and configuration settings. (Not questioning...

Ralston18

Titan
How long (if any time at all) was the computer out of service with respect to the change from old PSU to new PSU?

Likewise, when the computer was running slow, how long did you wait before reverting back to the old/original PSU.

Overall, it may have been a matter of Windows (or some other app) trying to do an update, backup, phone home etc..

If you did not wait long enough and interrupted some such process then some files may have been corrupted.

Is the following User Manual link a match to your motherboard:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v1.2-GSE-LITE.pdf

[Do verify.]

And, per EZ-debug, you see a red led for the CPU - correct?

Use the motherboard's User Manual to go back and double check all connectors to ensure that all are correct and firmly connected in place.

Try again.

Dec 2, 2020
How long (if any time at all) was the computer out of service with respect to the change from old PSU to new PSU?

Likewise, when the computer was running slow, how long did you wait before reverting back to the old/original PSU.

Overall, it may have been a matter of Windows (or some other app) trying to do an update, backup, phone home etc..

If you did not wait long enough and interrupted some such process then some files may have been corrupted.

Is the following User Manual link a match to your motherboard:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v1.2-GSE-LITE.pdf

[Do verify.]

And, per EZ-debug, you see a red led for the CPU - correct?

Use the motherboard's User Manual to go back and double check all connectors to ensure that all are correct and firmly connected in place.

Try again.
The computer was never out of service, but I did make sure to turn it off completely before changing any wires.
After multiple wire switches, my cpu is back to working, but it appears my graphics card was damaged somehow. The power seems to somehow provide less processing power than my previous one, because even the integrated graphics I did have runs slower with it.
The Motherboard manual linked looks correct.
Regardless, the pc was able to boot again, so the issue with the cpu is dealt with, but I'm very confused what could have damaged my graphics card.
I'm currently letting the computer sit on with the new power supply to let anything it needs to do happen, and I'm going to see if the issue is the graphics card, pci slot, or psu.

Ralston18

Titan
Per your response to @Karadjgne no wires were reused. That is good. Eliminates one set of possibilities; i.e., mismatched wires.

Because the problem has continued and worsened go a step further with the wires and connections.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Carefully inspect all connectors and wires. Closely inspect all along the length of the new PSU's wires. Do not open the PSU.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors are fully and firmly in place. Ensure the the wires going into the connectors are all securely in place. No wiggle or looseness. Completely inserted - no bare copper showing.

Next use the User Manuals to double check the physical installation and configuration settings. (Not questioning your ability to read instructions by the way.....)

Manuals can have mistakes or otherwise be misleading. And working on a PC when tired, rushed etc. can also lead to oversights and mistakes.

Do you have another known working computer where you can test the new PSU?

Or a multimeter to test the new PSU? And know how to use the multimeter?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If not try to find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Objective being to identify the problem directly or by elimination.

Solution