Question New PSU needed?

Apr 28, 2019
Hello. As you can see i have very old PC build here and i have recently upgraded my GPU to EVGA GTX 960 2GB version. Problem is gaming with it has become near impossible. i mean when i start playing games it causes full freeze of computer after 5 or 10 min at some case around 30 min . im playing BDO, Warframe, The Division , RoE etc when i have free time and i had never encountered problem with my old gpu which is gtx650. And when im not gaming PC work fine no freeze no restart and been reading all kind of forums and post about PSU and PC freeze.
As HWinfo monitor shows my PSU voltage reading follows
+12V = min 13.261v max 14.104v
+3.3v = min 2.864 max 2.912v
+3.3v = min 2.896 max 2.928v
+5v = min 5.455v max 5.844v
and my computer spec is
I7-930 2.8Ghz (stock)
4GB 1600Mhz x2 Kingston RAM (RAM is set to 1600Mhz in BIOS manually)
P6T WS pro Mobo
Powerful 600W PSU (korean brand it seems)
EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB GPU.
And cause of Voltage reading im guessing its entirely PSU fault and planing to replace it with Corsair 750W PSU as soon as possible.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Hello. As you can see i have very old PC build here and i have recently upgraded my GPU to EVGA GTX 960 2GB version. Problem is gaming with it has become near impossible. i mean when i start playing games it causes full freeze of computer after 5 or 10 min at some case around 30 min . im playing BDO, Warframe, The Division , RoE etc when i have free time and i had never encountered problem with my old gpu which is gtx650. And when im not gaming PC work fine no freeze no restart and been reading all kind of forums and post about PSU and PC freeze.
As HWinfo monitor shows my PSU voltage reading follows
+12V = min 13.261v max 14.104v
+3.3v = min 2.864 max 2.912v
+3.3v = min 2.896 max 2.928v
+5v = min 5.455v max 5.844v
and my computer spec is
I7-930 2.8Ghz (stock)
4GB 1600Mhz x2 Kingston RAM (RAM is set to 1600Mhz in BIOS manually)
P6T WS pro Mobo
Powerful 600W PSU (korean brand it seems)
EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB GPU.
And cause of Voltage reading im guessing its entirely PSU fault and planing to replace it with Corsair 750W PSU as soon as possible.

You are quite right about replacing the PSU. Also, just some tips on my experience building PC's and general learn as you go knowledge, not to nitpick at you, just my own opinions.

You seem to be on the right track with the PSU. This can defiantly cause problems, some older PSU's seem to handle mid-modern specs just fine before you add in newer GPU's.

Your CPU is just fine for a while playing any AAA game or rendering videos probably for the next few years as long as it keeps working. Sure your benchmark scores might be a bit lower compared to newer systems but don't let that discourage you. Keep your CPU at stock, don't overclock it if you want to keep using it for a longer period of time.

As for your RAM... With prices down spiraling, you should consider a 8GB kit. It will drastically improve your gaming and take some of the pressure away from the CPU & GPU.

Overall you have a system that should last another few years when it comes to modern tasks and gaming. You have done well so far with your build and everyone runs into problems at some point. My recommendation is to just get the new PSU and possibly more RAM. Keep your head up and be proud. Everyone starts somewhere, for me... my first PC was a system from AOL. It was a cheap $300 system and kept frying my CPU (Stock Intel Celeron 478 Socket). I upgraded the CPU to a Pentium 4 and still had problems. I had that system for about 2 years before I fully built my first PC. I was happy after that.

Keep going, set your goals high. We are all here to help and along the way you pick up more knowledge along the way.