New PSU, noisy and Power Supply Surge

VorCrux

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
I replaced my motherboard and psu with almost the same models, the psu is noisy (before the replacement it wasn't noisy). On the first few days it was fine, I could play most of my games, but then I would go into the same game and the computer would immediately shut down and power up saying that the Asus power-surge was initiated. The difference is that i upgraded my psu from 600w to 700w, whats wrong?

Asus h51m-k
trendsonic lc8700btx

Solution
Because the new one might need more power. Even if the PC has not changed, so it needs the same amount of power, the new PSU might be less power-effective then old one, and draw more power then old one.

Just plug the PSU directly to the wall plug for a test. If noise and shut downs disappear, you have a problem pinpointed.
Otherwise, like I noted before, most likely defective PSU.

VorCrux

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

I have a UPS connected, and the UPS is connected from the wall

VorCrux

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

But how come the old PSU (600w) could handle the same games I played when it was old and dusty but the new one couldn't?

Because the new one might need more power. Even if the PC has not changed, so it needs the same amount of power, the new PSU might be less power-effective then old one, and draw more power then old one.

Just plug the PSU directly to the wall plug for a test. If noise and shut downs disappear, you have a problem pinpointed.
Otherwise, like I noted before, most likely defective PSU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS