Question New PSU not working

Jun 26, 2019
I'm trying to upgrade the PSU of an old computer in order to use a GTX 760.

With the new power supply connected, the fans in the case will spin up momentarily and then switch back off.

I have tried:
  • With GPU
  • Without GPU
  • With old GPU (9400GT)
  • Reseating ram
  • Reseating CPU
  • With/without SSD
  • Jumping with screwdriver
  • Using only power switch jumper
  • All of the above while breadboarding
The only way I can get the system to boot is with the old power supply, which doesn't have an 8 pin PCI-E plug for the new GPU.

I also tried returning the new PSU, but they tested it and told me there's nothing wrong with it.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue?

Specs:
  • MSI G31M3 V2 Motherboard
  • Q9300 CPU with stock Intel cooler
  • Asus GTX-760-2GDF / NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT
  • Kingston Ram 2GB DDR2 x 2 / Micron 2GB DDR2 2GB x 1
  • Cooler Master MWE 550W 80+ Bronze / InWin Powerman IPS400T2
  • Crucial 240GB SSD

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I'm curious, did the guys who sold he unit to you use the paper clip method to jump the PSU? If so, that's not how you should test the PSU. I'd ask you to take the PSU over to your friend or neighbors house and see if the unit can power their rig. Speaking of power, you forgot to mention the wattage on the CM MWE unit.

Try working with only one stick of ram(from Micron) and please don't mix and match rams on a system.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Jun 26, 2019
I'm curious, did the guys who sold he unit to you use the paper clip method to jump the PSU? If so, that's not how you should test the PSU. I'd ask you to take the PSU over to your friend or neighbors house and see if the unit can power their rig. Speaking of power, you forgot to mention the wattage on the CM MWE unit.

Try working with only one stick of ram(from Micron) and please don't mix and match rams on a system.

Just updated the post, it's 550 watts. I bought from umart online, they also service and build PCs so I think they used a test bench for it but not sure.

Micron ram was in it for most of the time, received the 2 Kingston ones while I had it breadboarded so tried those instead just to see.

Will see if I can test with a friend's PC.

I also have the E7500 CPU that was in it originally, would it be worth trying with that one?

Thanks for the reply.