[SOLVED] New PSU or just over doing it?

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
So I have a EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2, I7 8700k with MSI Z390 Gaming Edge Mobo... I run at 1440p pretty much maxed out and everything seems fine as had no problems even when enabling game boost in BIOS. However, when I start streaming with game boost enabled I get system crash and BSOD.

I have ran diagnostics and everything comes back fine. My PSU is 4 years old and is EVGA BQ Bronze 850w.

Am I right in thinking a bronze PSU will run at about 80% efficiency? So that means I'd only get 680w from it for my system or am I reading into what I've read incorrectly?

Thanks.

Solution
Back to the original question on power supply efficiency. The 80 plus marketing standard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus) . breaks it down into metal groups. Just plain 80+ being the lowest and titanium being the highest. The rated wattage on the power supply is the output amount, not the input. So a straight up 80 plus 1000 watt power supply at 100% load actually pulls ~1200 watts at its input. For that same wattage a titanium would only pull ~1100. While there is no quality standard involved as a general rule of thumb the manufactures really only produce psus in three of the categories (Bronze, Gold, Titanium). Bronze is typically a value line psu and the cheapest. Gold is mainstream and what you will usually...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I have a EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2, I7 8700k with MSI Z390 Gaming Edge Mobo... I run at 1440p pretty much maxed out and everything seems fine as had no problems even when enabling game boost in BIOS. However, when I start streaming with game boost enabled I get system crash and BSOD.

I have ran diagnostics and everything comes back fine. My PSU is 4 years old and is EVGA BQ Bronze 850w.

Am I right in thinking a bronze PSU will run at about 80% efficiency? So that means I'd only get 680w from it for my system or am I reading into what I've read incorrectly?

Thanks.
Not correct. If you had a 1000 watt PSU rated for 80 efficiency it would still put out 1000 watts but pull 1200 watts from the wall s9ocket.

Reactions: Vic 40

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
What are your temps?

My GPU is around 65°c and CPU around 80°c under load that is.

Idle my CPU is 30°c ish and GPU 35°c. That's going off what I see now on HWMonitor.

All my temps seem fine when gaming. Just don't understand the BSOD. Maybe my PSU is dying? As I can say change fan direction in case start up and it powers up then shuts down and motherboard is shorting out as got the raise screws in. Very bizarre when that happens as well.

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ah ok. Well I don't have mine in the wall, it's in a power surge protector extension lead.
same thing it still puts out the watts it just needs more power to put out those watts.

your surge protector is plugged into the wall outlet.

the amount of watts it puts out does not change it just takes more watts from the wall to get their.

it would be the same thing if you had a 1000 watt @ 90% it would still put out 1000 watts but take 1100 from the wall to put out those 1K watts

Reactions: danjw91

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
same thing it still puts out the watts it just needs more power to put out those watts.

your surge protector is plugged into the wall outlet.

the amount of watts it puts out does not change it just takes more watts from the wall to get their.

it would be the same thing if you had a 1000 watt @ 90% it would still put out 1000 watts but take 1100 from the wall to put out those 1K watts

Ye it's just very bizarre why it does it. I can build my own PC's, do minor diagnostics but when it comes to BSOD I can never pin point what causes it. It's like event viewer where shows errors, critical stuff etc... Never understand if that's normal or not. Well the critical isn't but I'd say errors isn't normal neither.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ye it's just very bizarre why it does it. I can build my own PC's, do minor diagnostics but when it comes to BSOD I can never pin point what causes it. It's like event viewer where shows errors, critical stuff etc... Never understand if that's normal or not. Well the critical isn't but I'd say errors isn't normal neither.
Post the codes your getting that can help it can be anything from temps, hardware, or software.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
No BSOD is normal it a problem with the PC without knowing the code their no wy to help it can be anything in the PC.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Back to the original question on power supply efficiency. The 80 plus marketing standard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus) . breaks it down into metal groups. Just plain 80+ being the lowest and titanium being the highest. The rated wattage on the power supply is the output amount, not the input. So a straight up 80 plus 1000 watt power supply at 100% load actually pulls ~1200 watts at its input. For that same wattage a titanium would only pull ~1100. While there is no quality standard involved as a general rule of thumb the manufactures really only produce psus in three of the categories (Bronze, Gold, Titanium). Bronze is typically a value line psu and the cheapest. Gold is mainstream and what you will usually find at big block stores and titanium is manufacturer flagship level. You will find a few of the in between classes out there but they will price accordingly. As the old adage goes you get what you pay for. Titanium level units are usually built the best with the best components (and the most expensive). Again though the 80+ standard does not require any level of quality, only that it can meet the efficiency standards. So while a bronze psu is probably not going to be very good because it is built cheap there are a few very reliable ones out there. In the same vein if you purchase a titanium psu it is probably going to be pretty decent, but some of them are complete junk. The best thing you can do is read reviews on the PSU you are thinking of getting before purchasing. Because of the typical quality to value proposition I never suggest going lower than a gold and recommend getting a titanium even though they are the most expensive. There are only a couple of manufactures out there and many are sticker brands. I like seasonic because they actually produce their own and decent quality. Corsair, while a sticker brand, seems to get pretty decent quality control from their oems.

The power supply is like the foundation of a house. It isn't pretty but if it isn't rock solid nothing else in the computer works. With the latest gpus I would not recommend going below 750 watts and at the very least a gold.

Reactions: danjw91
Solution