Question New PSU, PC won't turn on with second harddrive.

Mar 31, 2020
A little while ago my PC suddenly shut down during a game session and instantly restarted. Since I had had a similar PSU related issue in the past, I thought it that somehow this might have been the same issue. I ordered a new power supply and after putting it in none of my 3 2tb old drives, aside from the 500gb boot drive were detected. After ordering a new harddrive and plugging it in I noticed the PC lights on my graphics card and All in one liquid cooler would suddenly turn on and off but the PC wouldn't start otherwise. After turning the PC off and taking the new drive out, the PC would start again, but only after powering up for a second, turning off, and then powering back up again.

I'm honestly at my wit's end trying to figure out the issue here. Is my motherboard damaged or is there something else I'm not aware of? Just wanted to post this here to see if anyone has had this issue in the past and possibly know how to fix it before I go and spend more money.

I've also tried flashing the BIOS several times and even updated it's firmware, so I really don't think it's BIOS related.

Specs:
Motherboard: Maximus X Hero
CPU: i7 8700k
Cooler: AIO Corsair liquid cooler.
Graphics card: GTX 1080ti SC
Drives: 500gb 860 EVO (for boot drive), 2tb WD Blue SSD
PSU: EVGA 850W Supernova (80plus gold)
4X 8GB DDR4 GSkill trident Z

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS