[SOLVED] New PSU sparked and now I dont get any display

Nov 16, 2021
I have had this setup for over a year, and I recently upgraded my GPU. I also bought a better CPU and more RAM aswell as a new PSU. Today I put in the RAM, changed the CPU and changed my PSU. When I connected the PSU and switched it on, I saw a flash, probably a spark, from inside the PSU. All the fans were spinning but I didn't get any display. I unplugged the PC (it wouldn't turn off using the power bottom) and the PSU was smelling like burnt plastic. I removed the PSU, and used my previous PSU and I still do not get any display.

Just to clarify it was all working perfectly fine before.

Part list before upgrade:
Mobo: X570
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: ASRock RX 6800 XT
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
PSU: Gigabyte B700H
SSD: Crucial P1 1TB

Part list for Upgrade:
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
PSU: Corsair RM1000X
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (Adding the same ram for 32 gb in total)

Solution
I have had this setup for over a year, and I recently upgraded my GPU. I also bought a better CPU and more RAM aswell as a new PSU. Today I put in the RAM, changed the CPU and changed my PSU. When I connected the PSU and switched it on, I saw a flash, probably a spark, from inside the PSU. All the fans were spinning but I didn't get any display. I unplugged the PC (it wouldn't turn off using the power bottom) and the PSU was smelling like burnt plastic. I removed the PSU, and used my previous PSU and I still do not get any display.

If you are very unlucky, that PSU burned your motherboard or GPU or even both. Those Gigabyte B700H have bad reputation when it comes to reliability. It should have protections, but who knows...
Nov 15, 2021

If you are very unlucky, that PSU burned your motherboard or GPU or even both. Those Gigabyte B700H have bad reputation when it comes to reliability. It should have protections, but who knows.. Anyway, do you have other GPU to try? And have you made sure you got display cable on GPU, not the motherboard?

Solution
Nov 16, 2021
Gigabyte B700H is semi-modular. You did not reuse any cables from it when you hooked up the RM1000X, did you?
To clarify, the PSU that sparked and now smells like burnt is the RM1000X not the gigabyte B700H. And I did not reuse any of the cables from the Gigabyte PSU when I hooked up the RM1000X

Nov 15, 2021
To clarify, the PSU that sparked and now smells like burnt is the RM1000X not the gigabyte B700H. And I did not reuse any of the cables from the Gigabyte PSU when I hooked up the RM1000X

Oh okay my bad i though ''before upgrade'' ment old PSU, but anyway, send that RM1000X to warranty. And about your problem, if there is no signal it could be because that GPU is broken, but it could be also related to different issue. Have you checked the basics like is your display cable on right port both on PC and monitor etc? I know it sounds silly, but even experienced tech-people make simple mistakes with these.

If you have another GPU, you could install that and make sure that PSU didn't break your GPU.

Nov 16, 2021
Oh okay my bad i though ''before upgrade'' ment old PSU, but anyway, send that RM1000X to warranty. And about your problem, if there is no signal it could be because that GPU is broken, but it could be also related to different issue. Have you checked the basics like is your display cable on right port both on PC and monitor etc? I know it sounds silly, but even experienced tech-people make simple mistakes with these.

If you have another GPU, you could install that and make sure that PSU didn't break your GPU.
I do not have another GPU at hand rn, (sold my old one, bout 2 weeks ago) but can probably get a friend to lend me one tomorrow. Hopefully my GPU is okay, if not I am going to be kinda depressed. Tomorrow I will give an update, thanks for the help

Reactions: Lacsative