[SOLVED] New PSU sparked

imusiics

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Hello I bought a new PSU and followed all the instructions from the manual to test it (Plug in that 1 cable that goes into 1 big and 1 large end on one side and has a 24pin on the other and then plug the 24pin into a motherboard slot dummy thing) and the fan didnt start. Since I noticed that nothing was happening I pressed another button on the PSU, I think it had hybrid written under it, and the fan started running. A short while after that the PSU made a snapping noise and I saw sparks flying out of it.

Did I break the PSU or can I still return it for a new one? Got it from amazon.

Did you install the motherboard inside or outside a case ?

if inside:
Are all stand offs installed correctly for your motherboard? Nothing is shortening the board on the back or up front?

if outside:
Did you power on the motherboard while on a non conducting surface? The card board or packaging foil or similar of the motherboard might be conductive.

imusiics

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Did you install the motherboard inside or outside a case ?

if inside:
Are all stand offs installed correctly for your motherboard? Nothing is shortening the board on the back or up front?

if outside:
Did you power on the motherboard while on a non conducting surface? The card board or packaging foil or similar of the motherboard might be conductive.

I didnt do anything with my motherboard yet. The PSU came with a dummy slot that is supposed to resemble the 24 pin connector slot for the motherboard. You plug that onto the PSUs 24pin cable and then turn it on.

By the way do you know any other way to test a PSU? Im kind of scared now that that happened and don't know how to test other PSUs if they don't come with some kind of testing method.

ok, now the thing is getting a bit clearer

you checked the PSU with its "power supply tester"

A fault like this won´t harm your connected hardware if the PSU is a high quality one, even if it is sparkling inside the PSU.

You could get a generic PSU tester yourself on ebay or similarif you are still scared, but shouldn´t be necessary

imusiics

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
ok, now the thing is getting a bit clearer

you checked the PSU with its "power supply tester"

A fault like this won´t harm your connected hardware if the PSU is a high quality one, even if it is sparkling inside the PSU.

You could get a generic PSU tester yourself on ebay or similarif you are still scared, but shouldn´t be necessary
Alright thanks

TRENDING THREADS