New PSU Trouble

Dec 5, 2018
So I wanted to upgrade my gpu and decided to upgrade my psu along with it. I bought a cheap 750 watt psu on black friday. I get everything switched out and go to start her up and the lights and fans turn on for a split second. Then they turn off and a few seconds later my memory sticks leds turn on. So I switched my 550 back in and everything boots up like normal. I assumed I got a doa. I ordered a new evga psu and just recieved it today. I take out my 550 and put in the new psu and go to turn it on and it does the exact same thing. I've triple checked all my cords and they are all plugged in all the way.

Solution
Well, something has to be different between the PSU that works, and these ones that are not working.

Are you plugging the power supply into a power strip? If so, don't. Ever. Plug directly into the wall socket.

Are you using a UPS? If so, don't, at least not for now. Again, try it plugged directly into the wall socket.

Did you make sure that ECO mode is not turned on on the back of the PSU?

You are not trying to use the cables from your old power supply with these new ones, right?

Are you plugging in BOTH the 8 pin and 24 pin PSU connectors to the motherboard?

Gotta be something different in what you are plugging in or doing. Can't be two different new power supplies both doing the same thing, and it be the power supply.
Dec 5, 2018
I bought the evga 750gq series

MB: GIGABYTE aorus z270x k5 gaming
CPU: i5 7600k
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX Windforce OC 8G
Cooler: Cooler Master Master liquid lite 120
Old PSU: Corsair CS550M

Ok, so that's a GTX 1080. That's all I really wanted to know. Doesn't really matter WHICH GTX 1080, just that it's a 1080.

I would check to see if that unit has an ECO mode switch on the back and if it does, I'd turn it to the normal non-ECO setting and try again.

If that's fails to solve the issue, then try this:

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Well, something has to be different between the PSU that works, and these ones that are not working.

Are you plugging the power supply into a power strip? If so, don't. Ever. Plug directly into the wall socket.

Are you using a UPS? If so, don't, at least not for now. Again, try it plugged directly into the wall socket.

Did you make sure that ECO mode is not turned on on the back of the PSU?

You are not trying to use the cables from your old power supply with these new ones, right?

Are you plugging in BOTH the 8 pin and 24 pin PSU connectors to the motherboard?

Gotta be something different in what you are plugging in or doing. Can't be two different new power supplies both doing the same thing, and it be the power supply.

Solution
If you were using the old SATA power cables from your old power supply to power your drives while connected to your new power supply, there is a good possibility you may have shorted something out. You cannot EVER use cables from one power supply with another power supply unless they are not only from the same manufacturer, but also verified to have the same pinout on both models. The EVGA G2 and P2 units for example, can share cables interchangeably.

You cannot however use the cables from a 620w Antec power supply with a 620w Seasonic power supply, without checking the pinout of both models to make sure that Antec didn't do something different with their socket than Seasonic did, even though Seasonic made the platform for both units, just as one example.

It becomes even more critical when you are not within the same series, on the same platform or within the same brand.

Your drives could be dead or your storage controller on your motherboard could be shot. But before you go jumping to any conclusions, I'd make sure you didn't accidentally knock the data cables loose from the drive or the motherboard, firmly seat those again, and then reset the bios again and save settings, then go back in and check again. If there is still nothing, try the drive(s) in another system. If they don't show up, then they are probably damaged.

It's also possible that trying to plug the wrong SATA power cables into the PSU damaged the PSU on that rail, rather than the drives. But usually a good PSU will have some protections against that.

If it was actually the data cables you were talking about, rather than the SATA power cables, then that shouldn't matter. Those don't connect to the power supply anyhow.

If they won't initialize and be recognized in the bios, it's pretty doubtful. I would try them on another machine though to make sure it's not the motherboard, rather than the drives themselves. And double check those SATA data cable connections. Maybe even try different SATA data cables. I dunno man, when you use cables that were not meant for a certain PSU, all bets are off.

Dec 5, 2018
Well dang I guess that's why they tell you to have a backup. I don't have another system to test them on so it's there another way to check to see if it's the mother board or the drives?

Well, if you have another drive, or can borrow one from a friend or relative, and see if IT works in your system, that might tell you if it is in fact your drives or the motherboard. If a known good drive shows up in the bios, then you know something is up with your drives. If it doesn't, then it's probably a motherboard issue.

Damn man, that's a tough learning experience, but you are right. That is exactly why we say always have a backup on something not specific to the main system like optical disks, an external drive, cloud backup, or just another drive that you can remove and store somewhere else. Honestly though, just having a backup at all, like on a secondary disk in the system, is usually enough in most cases. In this case, which is pretty unusual due to the nature of having connected, MAYBE having a problem from the wrong cables. Having a normal backup wouldn't have helped. I always keep an external backup just in case.

I've seen lightning strikes take out an entire array or series of disks, so having something external is always a good line of defense.

Maybe you have a friend or relative that will let you try one of your drives in their machine if you can't get your hands on a known good drive to test out on your machine.

Dec 5, 2018
I think I can get my hands on a cheap HDD I can try out. Thanks for all the help. It sucks, but I'm happy I at least know what was wrong and what not to do. I'll probably post what it was later today. Thanks Shaun though man!