[SOLVED] New PSU won’t power PC

Jun 5, 2021
I recently built a pc, but have been having some power supply problems.
Specs-
Amd rhyzen 5 3600
Msi toMohawk max
Team group 2x8gb
Asus Radeon rx 580
NZXT h510
The PSU I purchased is the Gamemax rgb atx PSU. It’s a semi modular PSU.
I plugged it the 24 pin connector, the cpu cable, and the gpu cable. I didn’t plug in ssd or hard drive cables because I use a m.2 drive. So only 3 cables, and I’m pretty sure it should work. But it doesn’t. Anyone have any ideas?

Solution
The one I had before was the EVGA 600w. It worked for a couple of days but then stopped working. I thought it might be because of some kind of surge in my power, so I returned it. Then I got this new gamemax one. I’m using the cables that came with the gamemax PSU.

So two different PSUs and no power up. Maybe the problem isn't the PSU.

It did work for a couple days though, so we have to assume that the assembly is correct and that there is no short under the board, etc.

If you "paper clip" the PSU by itself without being hooked up to the motherboard, does it power on? http://jongerow.com/PSU_test/index.html
Jun 5, 2021
What PSU did you have before? What problems were you having that resulted in a new PSU? Are you using the cables that came with the new PSU? The more information we have, the better.
The one I had before was the EVGA 600w. It worked for a couple of days but then stopped working. I thought it might be because of some kind of surge in my power, so I returned it. Then I got this new gamemax one. I’m using the cables that came with the gamemax PSU.

It did work for a couple days though, so we have to assume that the assembly is correct and that there is no short under the board, etc.

If you "paper clip" the PSU by itself without being hooked up to the motherboard, does it power on? http://jongerow.com/PSU_test/index.html

Solution
Jun 5, 2021

The gamemax comes with a tool so you can test if it works, and it does. So maybe a compatibility issue?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021
Well... let's look at the facts.

PC worked once upon a time. No changes. Died. Replaced PSU. Still doesn't power up.
PSU works sans motherboard.

When the PSU is plugged into the mobo and "turned on" (switch on the back) are there ANY lights lit up on the board at all?
No, but I do have a question to prevent my PSU failing in the future. Should my pc be plugged into an outlet with a third ground wire? I think I was ignorant enough to plug my pc into an outlet unprotected by surges.