new psu wont power pc

fosterd78

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
i ordered a new 530 watt psu to power my pc because of a graphics card i got from a friend ( ati radeon 1gb ddr3 4800 series) and when i connect the psu the standby light turns on but if i hit the power button nothing happens. i know the psu is not faulty because i did the paper clip test and im currently powering my graphics card only via the new psu and the rest of my pc with the old psu. also the psu is a rx530ss atx psu. any suggestions so i dont have to run two psu at once??

Solution
The paper clip "test" only tells you whether the PSU is able to turn on at all or not. It does not tell you anything about whether or not the PSU is actually capable of delivering the amount of power you are trying to pull out of it reliably.

Raidmax is ranked as a tier-5 brand, which usually means the brand has often been associated with stability, reliability or safety issues.
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

InvalidError

Titan
The paper clip "test" only tells you whether the PSU is able to turn on at all or not. It does not tell you anything about whether or not the PSU is actually capable of delivering the amount of power you are trying to pull out of it reliably.

Raidmax is ranked as a tier-5 brand, which usually means the brand has often been associated with stability, reliability or safety issues.
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Solution

fosterd78

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
im pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly but this raidmax came with a lot of different cords then my stock psu. System Model: Inspiron 545
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM

fosterd78

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
ok ill do that . and one more question sorry , just yesterday before i put the gpu in i had 8gb of ram and the specs say now i only have 4? ive had this computer for years and i know it had 8

InvalidError

Titan

Assuming you are correct about this and all the DIMMs appear to still be in place, there are a few possibilities:
- you may have nudged some of the DIMMs out of their slots, try re-seating them
- your CMOS settings may have been corrupted by bad power (you should have gotten a CMOS checksum error message on boot in that case)
- your RAM or chipset/motherboard got damaged by bad power and now some of the DIMMs no longer register

fosterd78

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
ok mAn just re seated and im back to 8 gb of ram!! thanks so much for all the help i really appreciate it System Model: Inspiron 545
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM