[SOLVED] New PSU??

mwillmers1

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Hi I'm just wondering if with my current rig I may need to upgrade my PSU?, I haven't had any problems with it yet but also I wouldn't want to come into any.

Current Rig:

PSU - Corsair bronze rated builder series 500W
DVD/CDRW Drive
Motherboard - ASUS Rog strix 8360-F Gaming
CPU - I5 8400
Graphics - Gigabyte windforce Geforce RTX 2060
RAM - 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz Corsair vengeance lpx
Storage 1 x Samsung evo 120gb SSD + Samsung 7200RPM 320gb HD
CPU Cooling - Corsair H70 Liquid cooler
Fans 3 x Corsair 120mm LED

Solution
Just to be safe, I would upgrade to a 650W PSU. Your 500W one will probably be okay but if you ever decide to add another monitor or something along those lines, you might damage the PSU without even realizing until it eventually just dies.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Just to be safe, I would upgrade to a 650W PSU. Your 500W one will probably be okay but if you ever decide to add another monitor or something along those lines, you might damage the PSU without even realizing until it eventually just dies.

Reactions: mwillmers1
Solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
While the G2 is a good unit, so is this Seasonic EVO.
And it has more wattage

While it may be Bronze and not Gold rated, that only has to do with power efficiency which just means it saves you some pennies on your electric bill.

Has nothing to do with quality. (Just an FYI)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.90 @ B&H)
Total: $59.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-16 11:59 EST-0500

mwillmers1

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I live in the uk here so prices are slightly higher, the seasonic evo is around £70 fully modular.

For an Evga 650W hybrid gold I can get that locally for £79.

To be fair 550W would be the best option in terms of cost savings but if Im going to upgrade I may aswell go a bit higher then it'll cover me for any further power usage if needed.

In terms of ratings Im guessing bronze is good enough still fairly efficient, but also you only draw from the power supply for what you need anyway so your only taliking a few percent efficiency from bronze to gold.

Both supplies seem good but seasonic has got a really gd rep as others like antec etc where as evga are fairly new to the market??