[SOLVED] New psu?

Sep 18, 2020
I have an i3 3250 and I just got an r5 1600, and I saw that it only has 65 tdp while the i3 has 55, so would it go bad if I used my generic power supply with it, or do I need a new one?
(can't buy one atm).

I have an i3 3250 and I just got an r5 1600, and I saw that it only has 65 tdp while the i3 has 55, so would it go bad if I used my generic power supply with it, or do I need a new one?
(can't buy one atm).
I'm sure it will be fine, being so close in TDP. You did get a new motherboard and memory for the AMD Ryzen CPU right? It is not compatible with your Intel system and you need DDR4 memory, not DDR3. The Ryzen does not have integrated graphics like the i3 so you'll need a GPU too, if you don't have one. Installing a new GPU may require a new PSU depending on what PSU you have now. Please list the brand and model of your PSU and how old it is.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020
I'm sure it will be fine, being so close in TDP. You did get a new motherboard and memory for the AMD Ryzen CPU right? It is not compatible with your Intel system and you need DDR4 memory, not DDR3. The Ryzen does not have integrated graphics like the i3 so you'll need a GPU too, if you don't have one. Installing a new GPU may require a new PSU depending on what PSU you have now. Please list the brand and model of your PSU and how old it is.
Yes I did get a new motherboard going to get new ram soon.