[SOLVED] New PSU

Solution
But then 1000 W could be much more than needed as it seems that more or less 85 % should be in use, or not really?

Does Corsair RMx850 works for this settings? Here is a link:
https://www.pccomponentes.pt/corsair-rmx-white-series-rm850x-850w-80-plus-gold-full-modular

RM850x does work. I didn't want to mention any particular brands because I don't want to look like a shill or something.

The problem is not the ability to deliver power, per se. A good 850W should be able to deliver and sustain an 850W load. The problem is, and this is what "calculators" and reviews aren't taking into consideration, is that Ampere series cards have these transient spikes that are so hard and fast that you need an oscilloscope to capture...

Lutfij

Titan
The suggestion for a PSU will come when we've understood;
1| your full system's specs
2| if you plan to overclock
3| the sort of budget you have
4| where you're located and the sort of units at your disposal
and
5| if you plan to hold onto the PSU for a long while.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
The suggestion for a PSU will come when we've understood;
1| your full system's specs
2| if you plan to overclock
3| the sort of budget you have
4| where you're located and the sort of units at your disposal
and
5| if you plan to hold onto the PSU for a long while.

1. i9-10900K OC to (let's see) but I hope to get 5,2 or 5.3 GHz; Asus Rog Strix RTX 3090 OC; Asus MB (probably Asus Rog Maximus XII Hero Wifi); 2 M.2 + 2 SSD; Kraken Z73 cooler; 32 GB of RAM Memory
  2. Yes, both CPU and RAM
  3. Everybody wants as less as possible, but just consider this as a non-problem at all
  4. What does it mean? I am in Portugal.
  5. if possible, yes...

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
More information with more reviews means more confusion...

Do I need 1000W for CPU, RAM and maybe GPU overclocking? I have Asus RTX 3090 OC and I will probably buy Intel i9-10900K.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
I also have used this website for calculation https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator.

In the CPU I filled the maximum overclock possible (probably 5.3 GHz) and 100 % TDP, which means both by excess. GPU, 64 GB instead of 32 GB memory (I can not fill an OC memory), also a high-end sound card by excess, 2 M.2 and 2 SSD, and all the other squares. For recommended PSU wattage I got 823 Watts, with almost everything by excess. Can we assure that only 850 W is needed?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I also have used this website for calculation https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator.

In the CPU I filled the maximum overclock possible (probably 5.3 GHz) and 100 % TDP, which means both by excess. GPU, 64 GB instead of 32 GB memory (I can not fill an OC memory), also a high-end sound card by excess, 2 M.2 and 2 SSD, and all the other squares. For recommended PSU wattage I got 823 Watts, with almost everything by excess. Can we assure that only 850 W is needed?
850 watts is enough for the PC what happens with those cards is they will draw a power spike and some of the 850 watt models trip out and others can handle it. I have no clue why but I seen a post where @jonnyguru said Corsair sent in different models for testing and some passed and some failed.

I would get the PSU with more watts just to be on the safe side better than buying a 850 watt and having problems then having to buy a bigger one after that.

Reactions: harpsinuno
But then 1000 W could be much more than needed as it seems that more or less 85 % should be in use, or not really?

Does Corsair RMx850 works for this settings? Here is a link:
https://www.pccomponentes.pt/corsair-rmx-white-series-rm850x-850w-80-plus-gold-full-modular

RM850x does work. I didn't want to mention any particular brands because I don't want to look like a shill or something.

The problem is not the ability to deliver power, per se. A good 850W should be able to deliver and sustain an 850W load. The problem is, and this is what "calculators" and reviews aren't taking into consideration, is that Ampere series cards have these transient spikes that are so hard and fast that you need an oscilloscope to capture them. Some PSUs have enough capacitance in their secondary side to power these spikes before the supervisor IC even knows it's happening. Some PSUs see the spikes as noise and shut down to protect the PSU. It's really a crap shoot.

Solution

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021

The problem is not the ability to deliver power, per se. A good 850W should be able to deliver and sustain an 850W load. The problem is, and this is what "calculators" and reviews aren't taking into consideration, is that Ampere series cards have these transient spikes that are so hard and fast that you need an oscilloscope to capture them. Some PSUs have enough capacitance in their secondary side to power these spikes before the supervisor IC even knows it's happening. Some PSUs see the spikes as noise and shut down to protect the PSU. It's really a crap shoot.

If we take this spikes in account it means I will have more security with 1000 W PSU, right?
Somethinig like this?
https://www.pccomponentes.pt/corsair-rm1000x-1000w-80-plus-gold-modular

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Indeed it is interesting because the only things to change from option AMD to option Intel are mainly CPU, Motherboard and PSU.
PSU because for Intel I need more power.
Motherboard because for a severe OC with i9 that you can't expect with 5900X, I probably would like to have a more powerful MB.
With the prices I have today, the total amount of all three is less for AMD option which includes the 5900X and Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming MB.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
OK. Back to PSU again...

Some parts are already chosen:
  • i9-10900K
  • Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 24 GB OC
  • MSI MEG Z490 ACE
  • M.2 NMWe Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB
  • Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

One more M.2 will come and I have to add 32 GB RAM, cooler, a high-end sound card and some fans.

How much wattage do I need for this situations?
  1. No overclocking at all
  2. CPU overclocking + XMP profile
  3. CPU overclocking + XMP profile + GPU overclocking

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

Not bad.

Complicated... Many people say 1000 W, others say 850 W... Who is right?
Some 850's work. Some don't. Most 1000W's do. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from.

Reactions: harpsinuno