New Question To Pick Brains With

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Just wondering if folks might point me to something - I will share my
knowledge when able, but right now am a dreaded newbie. Here is areply
to another with same question -

>
>>After bringing the file down to maximum compression and the re-muxing
>>with MP3 with perfect A/V sync through TMPGenc, I then used XMPEG to
>>create an AVI file using MPEG4-v3 as Codec - with a base of 23.973
frame
>>rate and convert the MP3 into PCM. After done I used VirtualDub to do
a
>>Direct Stream Copy on Video and Full Processing on Audio at 48kHz with
>>resulting perfect audio/visual sync.
>
> Why the hell are you encoding, decoding, re-encoding your audio so
> many times? It does not make any sense at all. You can also convert a
> DVD to Avi directly, without so many steps (I have used Mpeg2Avi, but
> there's also FairUse, etc.)

sorry for taking an eternity to respond - but like I stated i am learning
how to maximize my P3 because i believe that i will not need a P4 until I
reach the limits of this machine.

i am using freeware tools, and I did not know about several very nice
tools - MPEG2CUT, VFAPI, ASISYNTH, which when combind with VIRTUAL DUB,
creates a tool box beyond belief. I've cut down on the amount of need of
total recodes, but still my tools do not on the fly support direct MPA
and/or LPCM - so using dbPoweramp which is freeware, it takes about 1 and
1/2 minutes to convert to wave a file that is 90 minutes or solong.

I appreciate your reply and I mean it - but I could not reply immediately
as I was trial and erroring at the time and had no good response.

Currently my question about video is this:

I find my P3 is not powerful to encode the way WinDVR sts me up, but I
find if I set the machine so every picture is an I frame, my machine can
handle it like perfect. But when I try to then bring the file down to
AVI it is expecting B and P frames and does a lousy job of transcoding.

According to the "Unofficial Faqs' WinDVR at 640x240 encodes every other
line and from a visual point of view on my computer and television, I
find the picture extremely sharp, encoding at 9000 with no problems on my
P3.

Xvid instead of DivX can handle this setup but is real slow. Mpeg4-v3
works overall best. But I guess I really need to get away from my own
thoughts as to how many angels I can place ona head of a pin, as I am so
used to squezing space and I no longer need it as I have unlimited space
through my VCR and Cd-RW.

Anyway as I might have given away - with space galore - i can be hoggish
and not learn anything. But in transporting the files to share, I need
to shrink them down so they be viewed.

these words will be in a new question - getting back to the question: Do
many folks or even a few use a VCR as a storage medium, which to me is
perfect after editing as 6 hours is available on a tape real cheap?

Cya
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:22:04 GMT, gastra <gas@tra.com> wrote:

>Currently my question about video is this:
>
>I find my P3 is not powerful to encode the way WinDVR sts me up, but I
>find if I set the machine so every picture is an I frame, my machine can
>handle it like perfect. But when I try to then bring the file down to
>AVI it is expecting B and P frames and does a lousy job of transcoding.

Which software do you use for the mpeg to avi conversion? It shouldn't
expect anything at all in respect of I, P and B. If it fails, then you
should use a different one.

>According to the "Unofficial Faqs' WinDVR at 640x240 encodes every other
>line and from a visual point of view on my computer and television, I
>find the picture extremely sharp, encoding at 9000 with no problems on my
>P3.

640x240? If you do not want to go for full resolution, you should do
it the other way round: keep the full vertical resolution, not the
horizontal one. Thus, it's much better 320x480 than 640x240.

>Xvid instead of DivX can handle this setup but is real slow. Mpeg4-v3
>works overall best. But I guess I really need to get away from my own
>thoughts as to how many angels I can place ona head of a pin, as I am so
>used to squezing space and I no longer need it as I have unlimited space
>through my VCR and Cd-RW.

>Do
>many folks or even a few use a VCR as a storage medium, which to me is
>perfect after editing as 6 hours is available on a tape real cheap?

VHS tape degrades with time, slowly but surely. That's why people try
to put them into a CD/DVD disc with the best quality available. There
may be a degradation in the process, but it is a one-time-only one.
The tape alternative is to store as DV.