[SOLVED] New R5 3600 upgrade: Stutters and audio issues w/ XMP

Jan 28, 2019
Sooo this is weird. I had a Ryzen 3 2200G RX 580 8GB system that I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600. Today recently.

After having issues with Ryzen Master not recognizing the CPU, I have just messed with BIOS, getting things dialed in. After using PBO, I just decided to disable it considerring the heat trade off, and enabled XMP after opening some games and not seeing as much of an improvement as I expected.

So I load XMP with my Patriot Viper RGB 3200 mhz CL16 memory, 16GB dual channel, and first I get a WHEA BSOD before even getting into Windows. I'm like, well, new CPU, memory training, etc and let it restart and I am in just fine. But here's the 2 problems I am having -

Audio crackles and skips. I have the B450 Steel Legend which has a Realtek ALC1220 codec and gold caps that put out some pretty good audio, especially with my Senheiser headset. It didn't seem to do this before I enabled XMP.

Secondly, it will skip like it's running out of memory or something. I can see this happening even just moving the mouse around on the desktop, but even in game the FPS counter will drop when it happens, which is weird and points more toward a display driver maybe? Which is why I updated my Radeon drivers to the optional newest drivers available.

I figure I have a couple options - try and run at a different speed, which means trying to work out timings which I didn't learn in Overclocking School very deeply at least, or lower the speed and keep the timings, which solves nothing if timings are the issue, OR try and reload some drivers and stuff. I feel like the whole Ryzen Master not recognizing the CPU is related as far as cause goes, but after trying to solve this through restarts and such I came here hoping someone had some advice or could point me in the right direction - I'd like to not have my Infinity Fabric running at 1ghz or something and only get part of the performance out of my new 200 dollar chip.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
So i scanned my computer with a driver update tool and now it skips around maybe, possibly SLIGHTLY less, but still has crackling and audio skips that are infuriating. Halp me
Its the memory. I have the same issue on one of my AsRock boards with gskill ripjaws 3200 cl 16. I loaded XMP to get the sub-timings and stepped the memory down one speed and it passed memtest86 with flying colors. This should hopefully get sorted out with a future bios update.
Jan 28, 2019
So i scanned my computer with a driver update tool and now it skips around maybe, possibly SLIGHTLY less, but still has crackling and audio skips that are infuriating. Halp me

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Its the memory. I have the same issue on one of my AsRock boards with gskill ripjaws 3200 cl 16. I loaded XMP to get the sub-timings and stepped the memory down one speed and it passed memtest86 with flying colors. This should hopefully get sorted out with a future bios update.

Solution