News New Radeon Pro VII Wows on Price and Double Precision

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
offering support for mixed graphics/compute tasks that almost matches Nvidia’s much more expensive Quadro GV100.

Yea, nice timing on this announcement. The day before NVidia is going to announce the successor to the 2 year old GV100, which is rumored to be an absolute monster. It will be nice when AMD gets off the 2 years behind Nvidia cadence they're currently on. Still waiting on that 1080Ti killer.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Yea, nice timing on this announcement. The day before NVidia is going to announce the successor to the 2 year old GV100, which is rumored to be an absolute monster. It will be nice when AMD gets off the 2 years behind Nvidia cadence they're currently on. Still waiting on that 1080Ti killer.
I don't think this launch is as big as you're trying to make it out to be. This card launches over a year after the original Radeon VII came out, and the configuration is extremely similar to the MI50, which has been out for even longer, but with video output. It's more like a product for which there was unexpected demand or a stop-gap card, much like Radeon VII itself. Arcturus is around the corner and should match GA100's core count, so that could be fairly close, although I don't expect it to be hugely impressive.

May 8, 2020
"performance more efficient, enabling a total of 168GB/s-x bandwidth between two connected GPUs"

typo, per second, right?

maybe not rock and roll bandwidth

Reactions: King_V
well they are not even trying to get the performance crown. Nvidia is currently unbeatable there. But they have some stuff in mid range that makes sense, if you want power/performance and $/performance, and can compromise on pure horsepower....
Price at the crown is skyrocketing so it makes sense to be in that price range for most of us.
but yeah overall if you only look at full speed, they are not even trying ATM.

Reactions: King_V

Broly MAXIMUMER

Reputable
May 13, 2020
well they are not even trying to get the performance crown. Nvidia is currently unbeatable there. But they have some stuff in mid range that makes sense, if you want power/performance and $/performance, and can compromise on pure horsepower....
Price at the crown is skyrocketing so it makes sense to be in that price range for most of us.
but yeah overall if you only look at full speed, they are not even trying ATM.
Arguably, anyone with such mentality is in the wrong place to begin with. This is a compute card that has it's perks in certain production environments even over Nvidia's top of the line. Honestly it'll be Navi 2 where the fight comes back all around.

Wont lie. Personally, being in the middle, vega was my dream card. Looking at the whitepaper, and considering Navi pro launched a while back, it seems anyone boing more than pushing pixels will have a few new cards to consider from Radeon soon!

Reactions: Rdslw
May 16, 2020
Given the price for Radeon Pro VII, I'd rather snap up a couple of Radeon VII at $500 each. For my purposes, I'd prefer to not lose what gaming performance the VII has over the Pro VII, and it's one of the top cards for video editing on Davinci Resolve. It may get harder to find Radeon VII brand new for that price though. I wish AMD would fix their reset bug though.