[SOLVED] New Radeon Rx 460 GPU Problem

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
I have an i5 2400 cpu and when I put the rx 460 in the motherboard it fits perfectly and all the fans are spinning.

Now the weird part is when I first installed it everything worked and the monitor turned on but everything was very slow.

I turned it off and back on , PC was working but then no monitor turning on. Help? I can also get pictures if you would like.

( The first connector i was using was a hdmi cable and then i switched to a dvi cable ,none seemed to work )

My specs:

intel i5 2400

8gb ram

intel hd graphics

Solution
My psu is 240 w
There's your issue. That and if it doesn't have an obvious brand/model, then that's even worse.

The RX460 requires 400W (a good 350W would be fine) but definitely more than 240W
Those PSUs are not made for discrete GPUs.

So you'll need a PSU upgrade. But a good quality one.

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
PSU make and model?
Is it that there is absolutely no signal and the monitor sleeps or is it a black screen?
Did you have a previous GPU?
Did you install the GPU drivers?
Do you have latest BIOS? What is your motherboard?
I don't know what my "PSU make and model" is, but if you could tell me how too find out I gladly will.

No, I did not have a previous GPU.

No, I did not install gpu drivers, where do I do this?

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
I don't know what my "PSU make and model" is, but if you could tell me how too find out I gladly will.

No, I did not have a previous GPU.

No, I did not install gpu drivers, where do I do this?
And, my monitor just goes too sleep, its not completely black.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sorry, PSU = Power Supply Unit - you'd have to remember or open the case itself and check the power supply.
Usually some GPU drivers will be installed by Windows when it's first used, but sometimes you need to do a little more. If you can't get an image now, you won't be able to install anything.

Have you tried removing the GPU and seeing if it works on integrated?
Also forgive the patronising question, but assuming you plugged the display cable into the GPU after installing and not the motherboard?

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
Sorry, PSU = Power Supply Unit - you'd have to remember or open the case itself and check the power supply.
Usually some GPU drivers will be installed by Windows when it's first used, but sometimes you need to do a little more. If you can't get an image now, you won't be able to install anything.

Also forgive the patronising question, but assuming you plugged the display cable into the GPU after installing and not the motherboard?
Yes, im using my PC right now without the GPU. It's working fine. Yea, I plugged the display cable after installing it. [to the gpu]

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019

My psu is 240 w

Dxlan

BANNED
Jul 14, 2019
There's your issue. That and if it doesn't have an obvious brand/model, then that's even worse.

The RX460 requires 400W (a good 350W would be fine) but definitely more than 240W

My gpu does not need external power

Dlaing

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Remember that good brand doesn't mean good quality PSU.

Corsair make the VS which is poor quality, EVGA make a ton of awful PSUs, be quiet make some mediocre PSUs and Bitfenix and Silverstone also make some very poor PSUs
Yes, of course, the psu brands I listed are know for their quality, but as you said, there are a bunch of duds you have to look out for, like a 30$ corasair non certified psu is gonna last like 2 months if your lucky, but I listed those types mainly because lots of there psus are good. However, I didn't specify what type to buy from the brands I listed.

That system without the dGPU pulls 115W from the wall, or about 95W required from the PSU @ 80% efficiency. I just tested one on my Kill-a-Watt 2 days ago for another thread.

HOWEVER, the PSU can only do 200W on the 12V rail, so a new PSU is definitely advised. If you're in the USA, you can get a Corsair CX450 for $20 or less after MIR pretty frequently.