Question New Ram caused BSOD after a few days of use

Aug 24, 2019
Old Ram: F4-2400C15D-8GVR (GSkill Ripjaw V)
New Ram: F4-2400c15D-16GTZR (Gskill Trident Z)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A, Bios F5 (this seems out of date but newer versions are for newer chipsets?)

So in June in purchased the Trident Z and went from 8 to 16 gigs of ram. After about two days of use, I got a BSOD and a bootloop, so I took it out, tested my old ram (the Ripjaw V) and everything worked fine. I was in the middle of summer classes so I left it as is for a bit. The other day I decided to troubleshoot this new ram, I inserted it to test again. Everything worked fine so I thought, okay maybe it wasn't seated correctly as it's not as easy to push in as the Ripjaw was. Again, after what I think is almost exactly two days, I got a BSOD. This time it just restarted and started working again but in the two months I was running the Ripjaw V memory again I had zero errors. After about an hour things froze, I had to restart and it started error processing.

I had set up a minidump, but I'm not sure if populated properly since I had to manually restart and the time created on the file seems early to me. I am back using my old ram again so I can post. I am going to update my bios but I'm getting concerned about continually crashing to test, especially if when I put it back in the crashes don't appear for another few days (which has happened 2 out of 2 times so far).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bpvgPb_MTlgru50Yy3vARUpaSdxOxLCt/view?usp=sharing

This is a picture of my original ram (the Ripjaw V) and the picture of the tag for the Trident Z

These are the only differences I noticed in my Bios when looking at the memory settings for the individual channels. The tRFC for the trident Z was 374 and the tRFC for the Ripjaw V was 278. No idea if this matters, all other memory settings seemed to match (voltage and stuff). Have shots of those if needed.

Thanks a ton, any help appreciated! I dont want to try to get a replacement if the RAM isnt the issue.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would usually debug the dump file, but at this point there probably isn't much point. If the PC works perfectly with the old RAM but then faults with the new RAM (unless I've misread) then the problem is likely just a faulty module somewhere.

You can run memtest on the new RAM modules for at least 4 passes.

Aug 24, 2019
Okay thanks, hope newegg/gskill is favorable to deal with. I found it weird that it would work for a bit before something triggered. I'll try a memtest and maybe see if I can recreate it with single sticks.