Question New ram causes computer to not boot with a cpu error

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
I bought some new ram to finally go from 8gb of ram to 16, and when I plug it in, my pc doesnt boot. putting in one of the two sticks does nothing, and it wont boot at all until both of my old sticks of ram are in, and will also not boot if i put the new ram in the two remaining slots along with my old ram.

I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 5600g
2080 Super
the old ram is some tforce 3000mhz 8gb kit, the new is 16gb of g skill ripjaw 3200mhz

preferably id like to find a solution so fire away any suggestions but i tried quite a few combinations of things and im starting to think the ram just came in defective but i really dont wanna have to ship it back because thats a lot of work where i live and also itd take a long time for a replacement to come in

just hoping someone more knowledgeable than me knows some magic solution that i dont lol

also also in the bios my computer wont boot in uefi (i think thats what it is) and i have to go into the windows boot option thing and do the legacy boot mode to get it to go into windows idk what thats about if someone can explain that but no worries about that one thats just a lil side thing

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
Memory kit IS compatible with your motherboard.

Which slots are you attempting to use these DIMMs in? Are you populating them in the 2nd and 4th slots over from the CPU socket? The 4th DIMM slot is the one closest to the edge of the motherboard.

Find out what BIOS version you are currently on by checking it in the BIOS. Sometimes there are problems with a BIOS release and a new one gets released not long after. You never know.

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
Memory kit IS compatible with your motherboard.

Which slots are you attempting to use these DIMMs in? Are you populating them in the 2nd and 4th slots over from the CPU socket? The 4th DIMM slot is the one closest to the edge of the motherboard.

Find out what BIOS version you are currently on by checking it in the BIOS. Sometimes there are problems with a BIOS release and a new one gets released not long after. You never know.
yes i put the ram in the 2nd and 4th slots when i first put them in, when it didnt work i also tried the other ones, and i tried putting each one stick of ram in individually in all the slots as well.

it says the bios version is E702AMS.1I0

So, before I'd say there is a problem with the memory, I'd try putting ONLY the G.Skill DIMMs in the 2nd and 4th slot and then do a hard reset as outlined below.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
So, before I'd say there is a problem with the memory, I'd try putting ONLY the G.Skill DIMMs in the 2nd and 4th slot and then do a hard reset as outlined below.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.
I apologize for the late reply, I had to use the computer to do some work first so I wasn't able to test this until right now, and you were right, it works! thanks for walking me through it