[SOLVED] New Ram causing crashes

May 27, 2020
Hey everyone, I'd appreciate some advice with an issue I've been having with my computer. I've assembled around 10 pcs now and had begun to have a level of confidence in doing it but my latest issue has taken me down a rabbit hole which taught me how much I really didn't know.

So I had felt my computer getting sluggish during load times in games and figured my solution would be either A: to switch my hdd for a ssd and B: get more ram. So I did both. I didn't realize when I got my new ram the pairing wasn't completely identical to the previous pair but it was fairly close. I had a pair of 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws V 2133Mhz. I had apparently purchased some 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaw V 2400Mhz. I looked into my motherboard to verify they were infact compatible and did some research to see if this would cause issue. Internet concensus seemed to be to me that they should play nice together but I'd take a slight waste as the 2400s would only function at 2133 to match the pair. I installed them, booted up and all seemed well. About an hour into gaming the game I was playing crashed. Its a bit of a buggy still in development game though so I didn't want to blame my pc yet. I had tried some more and eventually my PC went into BSOD. It seems to only have issue when high ram usage is involved.

Im currently updating my MOBA drivers to see if that helps at all but I imagine the issue is a bit bigger then that. I've seen people mention changing voltages of ram and other things in the bios that I'm unfamiliar with. (Never really overclocked a machine) any help to the situation would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long text I figured any information would help.

My specs are as follows
Moba: B350 Tomahawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core
Ram: 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws V 2133
Ram: 2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400
Gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Solution
I have no idea of the % chance of issues when mixing RAM, I’d say more often it works especially when closely matched spec’s but there is always a risk of issues. I have actually had 2 kits of same make and model be unstable when mixed in any combination.

Now you can try overvolting and loosening timings but there are no guarantees it will resolve the incompatibility.

See odd man out section https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/
May 27, 2020
Is this just the end solution to this that you can't do that? It looks like people do it all the time on a cursory Google search but nothing that seems super trustworthy. I'd still like a second opinion on this that it can't be done.

May 27, 2020
They literally have same Latency, timing, and voltage. The only difference is one level of speed. Rather then go through the process of refunding ram after installing it if there was anyone who had a suggestion to try first I'd still be willing to wait and try rather then just accept "don't mix ram." It seems people do it often enough for it to be possible.

If it helps,
Cas Latency: 15
Timing: 15-15-15-35
Voltage: 1.2v

I have no idea of the % chance of issues when mixing RAM, I’d say more often it works especially when closely matched spec’s but there is always a risk of issues. I have actually had 2 kits of same make and model be unstable when mixed in any combination.

Now you can try overvolting and loosening timings but there are no guarantees it will resolve the incompatibility.

See odd man out section https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Reactions: Jposemato
Solution
May 27, 2020
Thank you @sizzling this was the kind of information I was looking for. I'll get some of the tips covered in that guide an attempt to see if they can be made to work together, if not ill just have to see how neweggs return policy on opened ram is.

May 27, 2020
It seems simply updating my motherboard has solved my issues for anyone experiencing similar problems. I guess my outdated bios didn't support the ram I was using or at least not paired with the current ram I was using but I'm now 6 passes deep into MemTest86 and went errorless as well as a few hours of gaming to put a general stress test into it. Didnt even end up needing to play around with xmp. I dont know how to mark my thread as solved but it is.