[SOLVED] New ram causing issues

Jul 28, 2021
Hi there, i just tried to install additional ram. My current build is Gigabyte X570 UD motherboard. Amd Ryzen 5 3600 cpu, Asus Geforce RTX 2060 gpu, 1x 8gb Crucial 3200Mhz DDR4 (model number CT8G4DFS832A).

I bought an additional 8gb crucial ram stick (identical to my original) and placed it in my motherboards DDR4_B2 slot; with my original being in the DDR4_A2 slot. This caused my pc to not have any display on monitor. no power to keyboard and mouse, however gpu and all fans were powered.
After taking the new stick out it functioned perfectly again. I tried booting with just the new stick in A2 slot where my original one goes and had the same symptoms as earlier. Is my new stick faulty??

Thanks!

Solution
Hi Belarkay (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Mixing RAM kit's is a NO NO even if they have exactly the same specs.
Reason being is the difference in Latency and that's why RAM modules are binned at the factory to ensure compatibility.

If you require 16Gb then get a single kit (2x8) and selected from the MB QVL and that way you know they will work.

Here is a good article of relevance: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview
Hi there, i just tried to install additional ram. My current build is Gigabyte X570 UD motherboard. Amd Ryzen 5 3600 cpu, Asus Geforce RTX 2060 gpu, 1x 8gb Crucial 3200Mhz DDR4 (model number CT8G4DFS832A).

I bought an additional 8gb crucial ram stick (identical to my original) and placed it in my motherboards DDR4_B2 slot; with my original being in the DDR4_A2 slot. This caused my pc to not have any display on monitor. no power to keyboard and mouse, however gpu and all fans were powered.
After taking the new stick out it functioned perfectly again. I tried booting with just the new stick in A2 slot where my original one goes and had the same symptoms as earlier. Is my new stick faulty??

Thanks!
Are they both the same part number

Reason being is the difference in Latency and that's why RAM modules are binned at the factory to ensure compatibility.

If you require 16Gb then get a single kit (2x8) and selected from the MB QVL and that way you know they will work.

Here is a good article of relevance: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution
Jul 28, 2021
Are they both the same part number
As far as im aware.

Thanks for the link! The only reason i opted for another single 8gb was i checked with pcpartpicker first and it said it was compatible to use them together (and to save money). If they are infact not compatible, that still doesnt explain why the new stick on its own results in the same issues... or does it?

TRENDING THREADS