New RAM doesn't work tigether with old RAM

Jan 19, 2019
Hi,

I recently bought two new ram sticks, making sure to get the exact same model I already had. The model is Hx421c14fbk2/8 (HyperX 2x4gb 2133mhz ddr4). Never had any issues with my old sticks. I installed the two new sticks in the empty slots and immediately started getting BSOD's. Sometimes after a while in Windows, sometimes immediately on start-up.

I have updated bios to the latest version. I've tried both pairs individually in both channels with no issues. I ran 2 passes of memtest86 on the new sticks in both channels each and got 0 errors. Now I'm running all four and currently at 600+ errors at 74%.

The ram model is supported by the mobo, I don't use xmp or any type of overclocking.

Specs are:
Win 10 64-bit
Intel i5 6500 3.20GHz
MSI Krait Gaming Z170A
Fractal Design 550w psu
Kingston SSD
2 older mechanical hard drives

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. You are free to do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

Exact match, identical, same thing also are not guaranteed to work together. You may be raising your chances of them working together over the use of random modules.

XMP settings are also for memory in the form sold.

Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
lower memory clock speed
relax DRAM timings
raise DRAM voltage

Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried increasing the voltage slightly but with no luck. I haven't fiddled with timings before, any tips on where/how go start?

I'm honestly thinking of simply buying a pair of new sticks. I need more ram for work-related graphical design so I'm a bit desperate right now. Would these sticks work on my set-up: https://www.komplett.se/product/893834/datorutrustning/datorkomponenter/minne/corsair-vengeance-lpx-ddr4-2666mhz-32gb# ?
They're on the supported list for the mobo but higher clock speed than the cpu can do. But that would only mean their speed is capped, right?

TRENDING THREADS