Question New ram installation causing no display

shadowzuziz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
Hey everyone!

I decided to add some extra ram to my build, but have ran into some complications. whenever I turn my pc on with the new and old ram together I get no display, but when I take the new ram out and leaving just the old ram the pc runs perfectly fine so I know its not a matter of my pc being busted or anything. I would think that maybe the ram slots on the mobo were busted, the ram came dead, or I didn't seat it correctly except the new ram does in fact light up and Im not sure if ram is supposed to rgb light up even when it runs into one of the previously listed issues. The new ram and old ram are different models but exact same brand, speed, and latency so I don't believe that is an issue either; I will link both here - https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231902 (old) and https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...identz_rgb_series_16gb-_-20-232-476-_-Product (new) The rest of my build is listed below, thanks in advance!

i7-6700k
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1
MSI RTX 2070 Ventus 8G
CM Hyper 212 EVO

shadowzuziz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
havent tried just the new ram yet cause im afraid of taking the old ones out and then fully messing up the ram seating. I thought that it was ok as long as the ram brand, latency, and speeds were all the same?

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold.

Adding extra RAM can have the effect of causing the RAM to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications.

"as long as the ram brand, latency, and speeds are all the same" have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Raise DRAM voltage

Last edited:

shadowzuziz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
Ok so I should set the speeds in bios to 2133 and then install the new ram with the old and hope for the best correct? Also if the ram does light up it should mean that it's not incorrectly seated, dead ram slots, or dead ram right? Thanks