Question New RAM installed, PC won't boot with XMP on!

TarekElsakka

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

Just replaced my Ballistix sticks with 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 MHz CL18 RAM but every time I enable XMP in bios I get errors and can't boot to Windows. I reset bios to default settings but it still won't boot unless I turn off XMP. Screenshots of the RAM on Speccy & the error attached.

I updated my bios to the latest one but it made no difference, still can't boot with XMP on. I tried manually selecting "DDR4 3600 MHz" in xmp settings but still can't boot.

What are my options here? I can't really return it because I bought it from Amazon NL and my friend brought it with him while visiting, sending it back will cost a lot of money and time.

And final question, my previous RAM sticks were Crucial Ballistix RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz CL15, do you think I can add them to the 2 empty channels and run without XMP anyway? Or will there be major compatibility issues with the Corsairs?

Thank you

TarekElsakka

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
ram frequency overclock depends on your CPU memory controller capability
post your cpu and mainboard names pls

MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK (MS-7B18)
Intel Core i7 9700 @ 3.00GHz
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (MSI)

These are my specs. I checked the mobo's memory compatibility list before I bought the RAM and it's supposedly 100% compatible, and should be able to output 3600MHz with OC. I'm not 100% sure that I reset the cmos correctly, do you think maybe I should attempt that? I also tried setting the xmp profile manually to 3600MHz but I didn't really adjust any of the frequencies (voltage, etc.), should I try that as well?

EDIT: I just manually lowered the XMP profile dram frequency by 2 (from 3600MHz to 3333MHz) and it worked! I am booted in and everything seems stable so far.
Screenshot of the numbers from Speccy and Task Manager: View: https://imgur.com/a/v8HRyVT

Do these look fine to you?

Last edited:
I checked the mobo's memory compatibility list before I bought the RAM and it's supposedly 100% compatible
well your ram partnumber for 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 MHz CL18 would be CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 which isnt listed in memory compatibility list for your mainboard
and in fact those sticks are AMD ryzen optimised
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18

I'm not 100% sure that I reset the cmos correctly, do you think maybe I should attempt that?
no need, CMOS reset is handy when your PC cannot POST

I also tried setting the xmp profile manually to 3600MHz but I didn't really adjust any of the frequencies (voltage, etc.), should I try that as well?
if you just changed frequency, then thats not XMP

try enabling XMP, then reduce ram frequency, find some stable value

also are your ram stick placed in A2+B2 slot on mainboard?

Last edited:

TarekElsakka

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
I enabled xmp and chose a dram speed profile that’s lower than the rated speed, from 3600mhz to 3333mhz. It seems to be running fine but I’ll test it more tomorrow in Warzone.

And yes, the RAM is in A2 + B2 for dual-channel. My previous RAM was a Ballistix 16gb kit and xmp was working fine without having to manually lower anything (3000mhz) which is why I don’t think there’s an issue with my mboo.

I only realized the amd part after I made the order and was told it wouldn’t be an issue and that it’s just branding and small differences. I would manually change the timings but I have no idea where to start or what they should be set to. I’ll be happy if I can get it to work at 3600 but 3333 is good enough for me, just hope it’s stable.

I enabled xmp and chose a dram speed profile that’s lower than the rated speed, from 3600mhz to 3333mhz. It seems to be running fine but I’ll test it more tomorrow in Warzone.

And yes, the RAM is in A2 + B2 for dual-channel. My previous RAM was a Ballistix 16gb kit and xmp was working fine without having to manually lower anything (3000mhz) which is why I don’t think there’s an issue with my mboo.

I only realized the amd part after I made the order and was told it wouldn’t be an issue and that it’s just branding and small differences. I would manually change the timings but I have no idea where to start or what they should be set to. I’ll be happy if I can get it to work at 3600 but 3333 is good enough for me, just hope it’s stable.
timings would be different between intel/amd as they use different memory controller