Question New RAM kit, 1 module post in both slots, the other only in 1?

Nov 21, 2022
System:
Ryzen 7 5800x
Rog Strix x570-i gaming
Old kit: Corsair RGB Pro 3200 cl16
New kit: G.skill TridentZ Neo 3800 cl14

Hello there,

I recently purchased a new kit of RAM, and have been having some odd issues. Before installing the new kit, everything was running fine and was completely stable. I also updated the bios to the latest version. After installing the kit, activating DOCP caused application instability and CTDs while gaming or running demanding applications. After reinstalling the old RAM, I had even worse errors after activating DOCP: Stuttering, system freezes, blue screens randomly, on restarts and shutdowns, during gaming and while idle. Switching back to the new RAM, I then had the same issues as before but now including blue screens.

After reinstalling Windows with the new kit installed, I got driver crashes and errors, blue screens and applications crashes. After reinstalling Windows (again) this time with the old kit installed, no corruption or driver errors, but the system still freezes and blue screens while idle. I then installed the new kit again and activated DOCP. No blue screens while idle or Windows/driver corruption (yet) but I have noticed the system will blue screen under load after it has been woken up from sleep mode.

My motherboard is a mini ITX board and only has 2 RAM slots. I tested each module of the new kit individually. One of the modules posts in both slots, while the second module only posts in the first slot. When run together, the system posts, detects both modules, and displays the correct amount of memory. Both modules in the old kit post in either slot, but as I mentioned, are no longer stable idle while DOCP is enabled. TestMem5 instantly crashes the computer when running the old kit and displays error 1 when tested with the new kit. Increasing voltage on the new kit seems to provide some stability, but as it's a 1.5 v kit, I'd like to avoid running it any higher than that. I know AMD overclocking can be finicky. I've followed a guide for overclocking, but nothing but raising the voltage seems to provide any stability.

I'm trying to determine what parts are at fault here. I suspect the new RAM kit may be defective especially since one of the modules isn't posting on it's own in slot 2. I also suspect the CPU's memory controller may be defective, or maybe even the motherboard. I have a backup system I could test these parts on, but I am afraid of damaging it with potentially defective parts and being left without a stable computer to do my job with. (I also hate uninstalling and reinstalling aio coolers using AMD's bracket.)

If anyone has an idea of what could be going on here, I would appreciate the help!

Ralston18

Titan
Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Some motherboards required that the first physically installed RAM module be installed in a specific RAM slot.

Also:

PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

How was Windows installed and reinstalled?

FYI:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

Nov 21, 2022
PSU is Corsair RM 850x. I was having issues with it and RMA'd it. I received a replacement from corsair about 10 months ago. System has only been used for gaming, video editing, music production and word processing. I reinstalled windows from a flashdrive after secure erasing the m.2 drive using my mb bios. I checked the user manual on Asus's website, and I don't see any mention of DIMs being in specific slots.