[SOLVED] New RAM kit not working in dual channel

Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020
Hey guys! Got 2 x 8GB new RAM sticks (I have a total of 32 GB now). Firstly, PC wasn't booting up, just a beep and restart loop. I re-seated the RAM and now it works, but the PC somehow seems slower.

I checked CPU-Z and the new RAM are recognized as single channel, even though old RAM are seated 1-3, and these new ones 2-4.

All 4 sticks are Kingston DDR4-2400, but they're different in manufacturer and part number. Old ones are manufactured by Micron Technology and have number C15D, while new ones are manufactured by Kingston directly with part number C15. All 4 have SPD Ext. XMP 2.0, and some years back when I got the old ones I activated the XMP profile from BIOS to allow the 2400 frequency to work.

In the Memory tab of CPU-Z, it's saying the overall channel of RAM is Dual, but in SPD tab, slots 2 and 4 are shown as single.

My MOBO is Asrock B250 Pro4.

Old ones are still running in dual channel by the way.

Should I try re-seating all 4 RAM, or what's happening here? Thank you for your help =).

Here are some screens from CPU-Z.

https://ibb.co/Kx44t3K
https://ibb.co/W0CZyRx

Solution
So with CPUID it's..."interesting", because in the memory tab, it says that the channel is dual. However, when I check the SPD tab, slots #1 and #3 are in dual ranks, but for slot #2 and #4 it says single rank.

This is the same for Aida 64, which says slots #1 and #3 in dual ranks, but #2 and #4 in single ranks. So while softwares are seeing the RAM like this, the BIOS is simply saying that at the moment there's a dual channel active o_O. Here's the screenshot once again.

https://ibb.co/3ryJ5GM
You are mixing 2 things (and this occurs frequently): dual channel and dual rank are completely different things.
Single or dual ranks as you see in the SPD tab in CPU-Z simply means that there are memory chips on only one or both...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
It is possible to even use different brands of RAM but heres where the problem lies. It is the RAM speed the RAM timings and RAM voltages. You must set these manually and would set it to the Kit that has higher CL timings and the old RAM would work along with the new RAM. That is weird is shows as single channel. I would personally make sure I have latest BIOS version on your motherboard. Then do the timings and speed and voltages manually relying on the kit that has the higher timings and putting it to that so both kits will work properly. Can you verify what the timings and voltages are on the two seperate kits? That would help us greatly to help you. Well sort this out no worries.💯🎗👶✝

Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020
It is possible to even use different brands of RAM but heres where the problem lies. It is the RAM speed the RAM timings and RAM voltages. You must set these manually and would set it to the Kit that has higher CL timings and the old RAM would work along with the new RAM. That is weird is shows as single channel. I would personally make sure I have latest BIOS version on your motherboard. Then do the timings and speed and voltages manually relying on the kit that has the higher timings and putting it to that so both kits will work properly. Can you verify what the timings and voltages are on the two seperate kits? That would help us greatly to help you. Well sort this out no worries.💯🎗👶✝

Hello Turtle Rig, thank you for your help! I have checked and indeed I do not have the latest BIOS version. Mine is 1.10, while the latest, 2.40 (still from 2018 though) says it has some memory compatibility improvements. Should I just load the files on a normal, formatted USB 2 stick and then follow the instructions of the manufacturer? Isn't it a bit risky to update BIOS though?

I have checked again in CPU-Z, and my Task Manager too. Task manager says the memory is running at 2400 and correctly seeing all 32GB of RAM. 2400 is indeed the max frequency of both the new and old RAM (they're basically the exact same, I bought them like this to avoid conflicts).

The frequencies, latency and voltages are the exact same for all 4 as reported by CPU-Z.

JEDEC 5: 1120 MHz, latency 14, 1.20 V
JEDEC 6: 1200 MHz, latency 15, 1.20 V
JEDEC 7: 1200 MHz, latency 16, 1.20 V
XMP-2400: 1200MHz, latency 15, 1.200 V

The only different thing between the sticks as reported by CPU-Z is something called "tRC" but I sadly don't know what that is.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hello Turtle Rig, thank you for your help! I have checked and indeed I do not have the latest BIOS version. Mine is 1.10, while the latest, 2.40 (still from 2018 though) says it has some memory compatibility improvements. Should I just load the files on a normal, formatted USB 2 stick and then follow the instructions of the manufacturer? Isn't it a bit risky to update BIOS though?

I have checked again in CPU-Z, and my Task Manager too. Task manager says the memory is running at 2400 and correctly seeing all 32GB of RAM. 2400 is indeed the max frequency of both the new and old RAM (they're basically the exact same, I bought them like this to avoid conflicts).

The frequencies, latency and voltages are the exact same for all 4 as reported by CPU-Z.

JEDEC 5: 1120 MHz, latency 14, 1.20 V
JEDEC 6: 1200 MHz, latency 15, 1.20 V
JEDEC 7: 1200 MHz, latency 16, 1.20 V
XMP-2400: 1200MHz, latency 15, 1.200 V

The only different thing between the sticks as reported by CPU-Z is something called "tRC" but I sadly don't know what that is.
Oh wow so you do see all 32GB but it still says single channel on CPU-Z? Im guessing yes sorry for confusion. tRC is part of the RAMs delay and latency if that is different but you see 32GB no worries. Now as for saying single channel that is baffling. I would def flash the BIOS with the latest firmware. Yes you can put the firmware image on a USB 2.0 stick then check your manual to see which USB port you put it in then you should see a button and you press that to flash the BIOS. It is very safe because most people flash the firmware in Windows and that means if your OS crashes for some reason while flashing then your in a deep hole hehe. Flashing it the USB and Button behind the motherboard way is pretty much 99 percent fail free. Do this if you can and get back to me.👍☮✝🎗

Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020
Oh wow so you do see all 32GB but it still says single channel on CPU-Z? Im guessing yes sorry for confusion. tRC is part of the RAMs delay and latency if that is different but you see 32GB no worries. Now as for saying single channel that is baffling. I would def flash the BIOS with the latest firmware. Yes you can put the firmware image on a USB 2.0 stick then check your manual to see which USB port you put it in then you should see a button and you press that to flash the BIOS. It is very safe because most people flash the firmware in Windows and that means if your OS crashes for some reason while flashing then your in a deep hole hehe. Flashing it the USB and Button behind the motherboard way is pretty much 99 percent fail free. Do this if you can and get back to me.👍☮✝🎗

A friend also mentioned it might be worth a try to take out the new RAM from slots 2-4 and try to put them in 1-3. Basically switch them with the old RAM, because slots 1-3 are the "default" slots for MOBOs and that why they could then register as dual channel. Is this something worth trying?

I haven't done MOBO flash yet.

Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020
And one more question actually Turtle Rig. I've accessed my actual BIOS, and this is what it's saying for the RAM. Makes me think that they actually ARE working in dual channel, and that maybe just CPU-Z, for some reason, is detecting B2 and A2 working in single channel.

It's saying dual channel memory mode with 32GB, and XMP 2.0 profile is active. In the BIOS itself I can see that the frequency, latency and voltage is the same for all 4 sticks.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
If the BIOS says their working in dual channel this could be a OS or software your using to check issue. I urge you to get Aida64 and check it with CPUID and see what it says and get back to me.

Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020
If the BIOS says their working in dual channel this could be a OS or software your using to check issue. I urge you to get Aida64 and check it with CPUID and see what it says and get back to me.

So with CPUID it's..."interesting", because in the memory tab, it says that the channel is dual. However, when I check the SPD tab, slots #1 and #3 are in dual ranks, but for slot #2 and #4 it says single rank.

This is the same for Aida 64, which says slots #1 and #3 in dual ranks, but #2 and #4 in single ranks. So while softwares are seeing the RAM like this, the BIOS is simply saying that at the moment there's a dual channel active o_O. Here's the screenshot once again.

You are mixing 2 things (and this occurs frequently): dual channel and dual rank are completely different things.
Single or dual ranks as you see in the SPD tab in CPU-Z simply means that there are memory chips on only one or both sides of the RAM sticks (the total number of memory chips ranks on the PCB).
Dual channel is a feature of how the motherboard and CPU access the RAM slots. Completely different thing.
You can have single rank sticks working dual channel.
To be sure you have to look in the memory Tab on CPU-Z: and it says Dual channel.
So everything is good

Last edited:
Solution

Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020
Single or dual ranks as you see in the SPD tab in CPU-Z simply means that there are memory chips on only one or both sides of the RAM sticks (the total number of memory chips ranks on the PCB).
Dual channel is a feature of how the motherboard and CPU access the RAM slots. Completely different thing.
You can have single rank sticks working dual channel.
To be sure you have to look in the memory Tab on CPU-Z: and it says Dual channel.
So everything is good

Oooh that makes sense! Thanks both of you for your help =)