New Ram module and SSD Install nearly went smoothly

Leon Holt

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Hey everyone.

I have an Asus x501 notebook with Windows 10.

Today I went and bought a wedge of 8gb ddr3 204pin ram, and wacked it in the sucker. Worked perfectly straight away from the old 4gb stick to 8gb. Showed up correctly in task manager played some team fortress 2 on it runs allot smoother with 8gbs ram. Then....

I went out and bought a 256gb SanDisk 2.5" SSD. Wacked it in the puppy. No screen on power up. Power was indicated as on light was functional. No error lights could fan was running. But no screen. So I took out the SSD and put the HDD back in. Same issue no screen. So I took the screen appart and checked the connection and it was fine. Still no screen. So I thought right I'll put everything back how it was.

So I took the 8gb ram out put the 4gb back in and the SSD out and the HDD back in and wouldn't you know it. Everything was back to normal. Ran fine no issues.

So I left the 4gb ram in and threw the SSD in and then it booted properly. So I installed the windows 10 to the SSD and it was all smooth on the 4gb module. So then I shut down the os on the newly installed SSD and reebooted to make sure it was powering on fine. And it was. Then I shut it down, and put the 8gb ram module back in ... This time with the SSD which had now had the os installed properly on it under the function of the 4gb ram. And guess what...... Same problem. The 8gb of ram went back to making the not boot with a black screen...... I hate things like this.

So the 8gb ram worked with HDD
Then not with the SSD
Then the HDD didn't work with 8gb ram
Then HDD worked with 4gb ram
Then SSD work with 4gb ram
Then SSD didn't work with 8gb ram

Please help me for the love of logical reasonable happenings prehaps someone here knows what to do to get the 8gb ram module and the SSD working in unison.

Solution
make sure the mb has the newest bios make sure to rule out a bios bug. use memroy vendor memory advisiors there free to use to make sure you ordered the right ram.

Leon Holt

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

As much as I appreciate someone taking time out of their day to write a one liner response.
What I do not appreciate is when someone takes in none of what I have asked for help with in my question.
Firstly and most obviously I have clearly in plain english stated and I quote " So I installed the windows 10 to the SSD and it was all smooth on the 4gb module. So then I shut down the os on the newly installed SSD and reebooted to make sure it was powering on fine. And it was."
What part of those sentences did you fail to understand.
Secondly, I clearly again in plain english stated and I quote " But no screen. So I took out the SSD and put the HDD back in. Same issue no screen."
So even if I had not clearly told you that the SSD is no longer blank and in fact the bios is booting win 10 from the SSD with no problems under the 4GB ram module. what part of the words "no screen" eluded you to the idea that, I may be able to check my boot drive preferences in my bios settings, which evidently needs a screen to be operational to be completed.
This is undoubtedly one of the worst attempts to find a solution to any question I have ever seen in my entire life.

I'm sorry if this offends you. I assure you I don't intend it to. I merely feel perplexed at where you could have gone so wrong in attempting to find a solution to my problem. I mean I'm actually offended, I feel like I may as well have not made any effort to explain my problem to this community if said community doesn't even bother to read my explanation.

I mean honestly, what possessed you to write this? I would have been less insulted if you had wrote "Have you tried switching it off and back on again" because at least that doesn't deny me the dignity of possible as a solution.

Sep 2, 2018
@Leon: As you explained everything clearly (gj), the 8 gig module seems to have worked only once. Have you tried putting that module into another laptop to see if the module hasn't developed any faults? Perhaps take the module back to retailer and ask them for a replacement in the same capacity and/or with a different manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS