Mar 7, 2019
I wanted to update my system with 8 GB ram. I already have Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 8 GB so i purchased it again.

My old RAM version is 3.xx and this new RAM is 5.xx version. Problem I am facing is when I added this new RAM to computer it do not boot.
I tried all possible scenario's like swap RAM slot, only new RAM only old. Sytem boots with only old RAM.

Mother board: MSI B350 PRO VDH its running on on older BIOS ver AB.

Possiblities:
  1. This RAM is dead and I have to check it on antoher PC which I do not have at the moment.
  2. My BIOS is quite old and I have not updated it from long time.
What should I do here? Last time I flashed the BIOS of this board I had to give it for RMA (ryzen memory stabilty isssue.) I will perfer not to do that if there any other option is there

Here it shows memory is compatible here

Kindly help.

Last edited:

dhimansumit4

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Hi,
New RAM's can be faulty. If you bought it from a shop, you can ask them to test on their computer. If you have from an online store, the only option I can suggest is to use a friend's or a relative computer.

I wanted to update my system with 8 GB ram. I already have Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 8 GB so i purchased it again.

My old RAM version is 3.xx and this new RAM is 5.xx version. Problem I am facing is when I added this new RAM to computer it do not boot.
I tried all possible scenario's like swap RAM slot, only new RAM only old. Sytem boots with only old RAM.

Mother board: MSI B350 PRO VDH its running on on older BIOS ver AB.

Possiblities:
  1. This RAM is dead and I have to check it on antoher PC which I do not have at the moment.
  2. My BIOS is quite old and I have not updated it from long time.
What should I do here? Last time I flashed the BIOS of this board I had to give it for RMA (ryzen memory stabilty isssue.) I will perfer not to do that if there any other option is there

Here it shows memory is compatible here

Kindly help.
Strongly suggest updating BIOS to the latest. There have been many improvements in BIOS to assist with memory compatibility, especially for older B350 boards. Hope your system will operate with the old memory only so you can update BIOS.

Also, be sure to clear CMOS.

Lastly: it may not operate at full speed capability with two different versions of the RAM even if you get it working.

What do you mean by this. After flashing my BIOS should I reset CMOS too.
Yes you really should since residual settings could remain that mess up the initial settings. I'd even do suggest doing it before AND after flashing the BIOS update since you're experiencing problems.

And that's just it: you're experiencing problems so even if it's not necessary it can't hurt but you've eliminated one possible cause.

Last edited: