Dec 28, 2021
I've been using a single RAM Kingston Hyperx DD4 8Gb 2133MHz and decided to add a new one, exact same model, speed and size.

The motherboard detects that there has been a change to the memories and asks me to set up or boot normally, either option works fine and the pc turns on perfectly fine.
But once you turn it off and try to turn in on again all the components boot up but there's no output, none of the peripherals or monitor turns on, even if all the components seem to work.

Also trying each memory separately works perfectly fine, is just when I use both of them at the same time.

Motherboard: MSI B350M PRO-VD PLUS
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core, 3100Mhz

Dec 28, 2021
Does you computer time ever reset? I'm wondering if the CMOS battery is bad.
Also, when it boots up properly the first time what is the memory voltage set at in BIOS?
I searched for a while and apparently the model ended 2/8 supports dual channel and the other one doesn't. Does that affect on anything? If not i will check the state battery and the voltage, but I don't really know how to change the voltage by myself.

Also, if it help, right now the computer turns on completely normal and recognise both 8gb rams but only allows the use of 8gb instead of the 16 that should be available

EDIT

Voltage is set to 1.2v but is not stable, it goes between 1.195 to 1.200v and the battery seems to be working perfectly

Last edited:
Even RAM kits with exactly the same P/N and specs can mismatch due to minor manufacturing differences in CL. This is why DIMMs are binned prior to shipment. Manufacturers warn of this yet it's one of the most common causes of RAM issues.

Mixing RAM kits is a well known NO NO and although they may boot and seem to work they usually don't or issues arise such as random reboots or unexpected shut downs.
If this continues then get a single kit, the size you need at a frequency your CPU and MB support that are tested and listed on the MB QVL

Reactions: ToteRose
Dec 28, 2021
Try updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest.
This may just be non-matched RAM compatibility.
This seems to work as a short term solution! we will see in the future, thank you!
I'm planning to get a matching set anyway but for now it works, not apparently shutdowns or lower performance so thank you so much for your help :D

Dec 28, 2021
Even RAM kits with exactly the same P/N and specs can mismatch due to minor manufacturing differences in CL. This is why DIMMs are binned prior to shipment. Manufacturers warn of this yet it's one of the most common causes of RAM issues.

Mixing RAM kits is a well known NO NO and although they may boot and seem to work they usually don't or issues arise such as random reboots or unexpected shut downs.
If this continues then get a single kit, the size you need at a frequency your CPU and MB support that are tested and listed on the MB QVL
I'm definitely plan to get a matching set in the future as I want to make a whole new one but for now I managed to make it work and for +6h sessions on I haven't got any shutdown.

Thank you for your tips! I'll keep them in mind for the next build :D