[SOLVED] New RAM starts reboot loop.

DeeInBetween

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Hi!

I did my first build in 2017 with the Ryzen 7 1700X launch and wanted to upgrade the RAM so I'd be able to run some of my new games better.

I have an ASROCK X370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard. I had 8 gigs of RAM in the initial build [Patriot Signature Line 8GB (2x4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Model PSD48G2133K] and I recently purchased 32 gigs [OLOy 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model ND4U1632161DJ0DA].

I checked on PC part picker before purchasing and it should be compatible. I disconnected power and thoroughly dusted out the entire case with my air compressor before I started working on it. New memory is fully seated, ports are clean but it just goes into a reboot loop and I don't get to any sort of screen before it restarts. I reseated the old RAM and it boots up fine.

The voltage is different which I don't think matters since I'm replacing and not mixing but I'd rather put too much info than potentially leave out something important. Can anyone help me out?

Solution
PCPP does NOT show ACTUAL memory compatibility, and OLOy is incredibly low quality RAM for an aftermarket brand. They are also VERY new to the memory manufacturing ranks. So far I have seen very few members that were able to get a first or second Gen Ryzen platform running with OLOy memory. Keep in mind, PCPP ONLY shows that it is the right TYPE of memory for a given motherboard and CPU. They do NOT show compatibility validation by motherboard. For that, you need to visit the memory manufacturers website OR the motherboard product page. The motherboard product page QVL list will show SOME validated memory kits. The memory manufacturer's validation lists will show most of what is out there that is compatible, BUT, for the most part, only...
PCPP does NOT show ACTUAL memory compatibility, and OLOy is incredibly low quality RAM for an aftermarket brand. They are also VERY new to the memory manufacturing ranks. So far I have seen very few members that were able to get a first or second Gen Ryzen platform running with OLOy memory. Keep in mind, PCPP ONLY shows that it is the right TYPE of memory for a given motherboard and CPU. They do NOT show compatibility validation by motherboard. For that, you need to visit the memory manufacturers website OR the motherboard product page. The motherboard product page QVL list will show SOME validated memory kits. The memory manufacturer's validation lists will show most of what is out there that is compatible, BUT, for the most part, only G.Skill, Corsair and Crucial have a compatibility listing or utility.

I'd return that memory and get a kit from G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial that shows as compatible on their website, (Crucial memory advisor, G.Skill memory configurator, Corsair memory finder)

Also, Summit ridge CPUs only support up to 2933mhz, REGARDLESS of what motherboard chipset it is paired with. So you wouldn't be able to run that memory kit at 3200mhz anyhow.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Dusted with an air compressor - what PSI setting? My fear is that too much air pressure caused physical damage somewhere....

=======

As for RAM refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual via the manufacturer's website.

The manual and website should both provide detailed information regarding supported RAM and installation configurations.

Dusted with an air compressor - what PSI setting? My fear is that too much air pressure caused physical damage somewhere....

=======

As for RAM refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual via the manufacturer's website.

The manual and website should both provide detailed information regarding supported RAM and installation configurations.
He said the original kit works fine.