New ram wont boot 4 gig gigabyte ga-81pe1000

musician777

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I just installed 2 more 1 gig sdram on my gugabyte GA-81PE1000 motherboard. It makes a total of 4 gig. It won't boot and beeps and blinks.
I installed the new rams in dimm 1 and 3 and left the old ones in 2 and 4.
I tried the new ones by themselves in slot 2 and 4 by removing he old ones and hey work fine. However they don't work in 1 and 3 alone either.

Solution
Good, you should be able to POST with all 4 sticks of RAM.

It's probably not dangerous to increase the voltage with only 2 sticks; but you don't want to increase to the point you fry the RAM. You only want to raise the voltage enough to POST and achieve RAM stability.

With all 4 RAM sticks in the slots, I would incease the voltage +.1, save and exit BIOS, and reboot. I would continue doing that in +.1v increments until the computer posts. Your RAM datasheet shows the RAM should run at 2.6v +/-.1v, if cannot get it running stable at 3.0v, I think I would stop trying.

So, you've incrementaly increased the voltage and you POST, now you want to boot into memtest86+ (latest version) to test the RAM for errors...
Lots of boards don't like all 4 RAM slots populated. Ideally, you bought new RAM that is exactly the same make and model as the old RAM.

If not, the new RAM should have the same specs: speed/frequency, latencies, and voltage. If they match, enter the BIOS and slightly increase the RAM voltage, and try to boot. If no boot, increase the RAM voltage another increment, and try again.

If your BIOS doesn't have an option to incrementally increase the RAM voltage, buy two larger capacity, but same specs as the original sticks, take out all the other sticks and use the new new sticks.

musician777

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Thanks so much. They are both the same Kingston brand and have the same speed/frequency, latencies, and voltage (KVR400X64C3AK2/2G) but the first two were made in China and the second two in USA. and the by how much should I increase (it says DIMM voltage +0.1 and up) and is it dangerous to increase the voltage while there are only two RAMS in the sockets.

Good, you should be able to POST with all 4 sticks of RAM.

It's probably not dangerous to increase the voltage with only 2 sticks; but you don't want to increase to the point you fry the RAM. You only want to raise the voltage enough to POST and achieve RAM stability.

With all 4 RAM sticks in the slots, I would incease the voltage +.1, save and exit BIOS, and reboot. I would continue doing that in +.1v increments until the computer posts. Your RAM datasheet shows the RAM should run at 2.6v +/-.1v, if cannot get it running stable at 3.0v, I think I would stop trying.

So, you've incrementaly increased the voltage and you POST, now you want to boot into memtest86+ (latest version) to test the RAM for errors. Use the precompiled executables on your floppy, cd, or usb stck to boot from POST to memtest86+, see the linked page. If you get errors, you can again incrementally increase the RAM voltage, each time booting into memtest to check the RAM for errors. Stop when your RAM runs error-free, or you think the voltage is too high.

I usually do the memtest86+ on each stick individually, in each slot, before I run it on the final configuration so I know each stick and slot is good. You might be able to skip that since you have had 2 goods running for a while.

Solution

musician777

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

I finally tried everything and still didin't work. The only thing I hadn't tried was DIMM 1 alone . DIMM by itself does not work so is probably defect. I will look into the possibility of replacing it.

TRENDING THREADS