Question New ram wont boot but shows when mixed

Nov 13, 2020
Hi,

Bought 16gb (2x8) of Gammix D10 ram. Installed it today and i got the 4 beeps. I put a stick of my old ram in G-Skill Ripjaw 4gb, it boots and shows 20gb. Looked in UEFI and the ram is there. any reason it wont boot with just the new RAM?

Nov 13, 2020
check if both ram use same timings and voltages and after rdg 1101 test try in as dual channel one new and one old in the same channel mix ram does not always work .

By this do you mean the new ram and old ram? They work together but the new ram doesnt work alone. What settings should I change?

Nov 13, 2020
Also

As I currently can only get it working with mixed ram. My old ram is actually faster. WIll this still have a negative impact on speed because they are mixed? or would it only be slower if my old ram was slower?

Nov 13, 2020
UPDATE

Tried the above, tried switching ram slots, using dual, single. Eventually got the new RAM working on boot with a single stick. I restarted the PC without changing any setting and got the 4 beeps again,

It seems like the issue is with the RAM registering when booting.

Now unless i can resolve this i think my options are
  • Send the new RAM back (is the ram at fault?)
  • Keep the RAM mixed, end up with 20gb instead of 16gb and sell my 4gb (was hoping to sell all 8gb)

question is, would mixing RAM have a negative effect if the new ram is slower anyway?

Nov 13, 2020
Hi,

Posted a question on here about new RAM not posting but I seem to have narrowed down the issue

MOBO - ASROCK Pro4 Z170
CPU - I5-6600k
RAM
New - Gammix D10 (2x8gb) 3200mhz 16-20-20-38
Old - Gskill Ripjaw (2x4gb) 3200mhz 16-16-16-36

The issue is
  • New RAM will not POST with default UEFI settings
  • New RAM will post if set to 2133 or 2400 profile, but will not POST with the 2666 or 3200 (XMP profile) settings
  • If I put a stick of my old ram in and mix, my system will always POST (generally with default UEFI settings) and the new ram will also show on the system

Things ive tried
  • New ram in all different slots (single and dual)
  • Different profiles 2133 2400 2666 3200 (XMP 1 profile)

My question
- Is this a RAM issue? Compatibility issue? I can get the new RAM to work, but the problem is it will only run to 2666 and more importantly if anything ever goes wrong with my system it will not post with default UEFI settings.

Do I send the new RAM back and ask them to send me another kit, or do i sent it back and get my money back and buy some new ram?

Nov 13, 2020
the fastest ram will only run at the fastest speed of the lower one so no gain to keep both .

The problem is my new RAM will not post with Default UEFI settings and will only run max 2400mhz. My old RAM is faster and will POST up to 3200, but mote importantly it will post if my sytems wont boot and changed setting back to default.

Im thinking i just need to send my new ram back and get a different type?

Nov 13, 2020
the other thing they dont have same jedec settings so use cpu-z spd tab to find on witch speed the could run at same settings and yes choice is to rma them and get similar of the one you have .

Yeah i think sending them back is going to be the best option, not being able to POST from default worries me more than anything