Question New ram wont work

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

Looking for some advice please…

I bought new ram 2 x 8GB DDR4 kit 3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16) to replace my 2 x4GB DDR4 3000MHz (CMK8GX4M2C3000C16).

The PC will start up as normal however after a few minutes on the desktop it freezes and won’t respond. I have managed to open the task manager before it freezes and says that there is two sticks of ram there but only 7.5 GB ram is available.

I have managed to check the bios and it does say there is 16GB Ram installed and the XMP is set to profile 1.

The new ram is on my motherboards ram support list and I believe my motherboard supports this ram.

I have tried swapping the new sticks around but only between the two slots I took out the original 2 x 4GB kit out. Maybe I should try using the other two slots? I’m not sure. I have not tampered with the ram settings as I have near to none knowledge of this.

Just to add when putting my original 2 x 4GB kit back in the Pc operates as normal. That makes me think there is something wrong with the new ram.

Would be grateful for some advice. Thanks

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b450-aorus_m_matisse_190828.pdf - Support List
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-m_1001_e.pdf - Motherboard Manual

Specs.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Old Ram - Corsair 8GB (2x 4GB) 3000Mhz DDR4 Vengeance
New Ram - Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 Vengeance
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super
1TB 860 evo SSD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold

Try resetting the BIOS to default settings. You can typically do this within the BIOS, or by removing your CMOS battery for ~2 minutes or more, or by using the onboard jumper (read the mobo manual for instructions).

You will want to re-enable XMP after this, but try to boot normally and test for functionality before doing so.

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

Tried removing the CMOS battery and resetting to default settings but sill no luck. Tried different slots and still no luck. Not sure what I am meant to do now. Never had a problem like this. Thought that as long as the ram was on the QVL list it would be a straight swap.

If my old ram works fine, does that mean the new ram is damaged somehow or just incompatible even though its on the QVL list?

Something I did noticed, the new ram has version 5.32 on it. The QVL list says 4.31. Could this be the problem?

Thanks

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Will give that a go. Would be interested to see the result.

Sorry don't mean to sound rude but even if one worked that wouldn't be any good. Need both to work. I cant imagine its the ram slots on the motherboard as my original ram work fine.

Despite the out come is this when you would RMA an item? Is that what that is for?

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
I did the test and tried each stick of ram on there own in each slot. Same result everytime. Bios and Windows recognises the ram and all the information seems correct. Pc boots to desktop and between 1 to 5 minutes the pc freezes. I just don't understand it.

I guess the only other option would be a bios update which I am not keen on as I have never done one before. Heard a lot of people saying it can really mess up the pc if not done right. Or hopefully I can return the ram and try another from the list. Surly this nearer version of this ram 5.32 is just not supported. Only the 4.31 version.