Question New Raptor Lake Gaming Rig Advice

Sep 28, 2022
Drawing up specs for a new gaming rig. Suggestions very welcome, in particular the cooler and the case. This is about a AU$9000 rig.

Intel Core i9 13900K Raptor Lake 24 Core 32 Thread Up 5.8Ghz LGA1700 CPU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO LGA1700 ATX Motherboard
Noctua D15 Chromax Black CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance DDR5 C36 5600MHz 64MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPU
2 x Samsung 980 Pro Series Gen4 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD
2 x Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 8TB 5400RPM HDD
EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80PLUS Titanium PSU
ATX Full Tower Case

DavidM012

Distinguished
What's your full tower ATX case?

I like the first (old) build in this thread because it has 'side intake' which will help cool gpu.

■Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022-WW Black Aluminum ATX Super Tower Computer Case

Of course the choice is absolutely yours however you could browse the chassis market for a selection of features. Just saying, 'side intake' might be a nice to have with it.

You know you need a new ATX 3.0 standard PSU for the 4000 series? I haven't browsed that market. People are saying be cautious of 3 or 4 way power splitters. Jay's 2 Cents not sure if they've even got around to testing and reviewing it yet. Seasonic haven't even launched an ATX 3.0 yet says dec 2022.

Why the 2 8tb HDD? If you're moving large amounts of data around sure you want to do it at Sata 3 hdd speeds? That's also a lot of capacity to fail in one lump.

What else could you get for $350ish? You could get about 4tb of n.v.m.e for about $500 retail unless you know any of any bargains around.

You have 1 pci-e 5.0 drive port and 4x PCI-e 4.0 n.v.m.e's on your mobo. So 4 of those samsungs and 1 5.0 n.v.m.e when you've figured out what that is. If it's even launched yet? For about 10tb of storage. Obviously more is expensive.

Can't imagine what you could use for backup with that amount of data. Only know it would have to be expensive to be fast.

A 32 thread cpu and ddr5 ram is expensive and you could easily achieve a more optimized gaming performance with a 12th gen build. Like an i7-12700.

If you're only gaming half the threads will be idle most of the time and may never be used so it's paying for a double garage when you've only got one mini coupe. Playing a game on a 32 thread cpu is like playing ping pong on a football field.

Well you could keep the z790 mobo if you want to keep the ddr 5 option open and since you have the dosh, why not? Just build tighter.

So you know that a game won't utilize 32 threads and probably nothing else you do will either? Unless you fancy dabbling in the world of 3d rendering.

Sure that's 64mb of ram? You mean Gigabyte (GB)? 64gig's a lot for gaming. Most people get by on 16gb and nice to have 32gb for other shtuff sometimes.

What else? Well you can slice off the 1600w psu and wait for ATX 3.0 while you think about ways to slice off cost of CPU and stick it on the vast amount of storage you want and maybe a backup device and trim the amount of memory to 16-32gb and stick it on to a nice featured case with also side intake and buy a nice monitor kyb and mouse and gaming headset and chair probably.

Reactions: Peter Browne
If the primary use is gaming I'd look at something like this ....

MSI Z790 Tomahawk
i7 13700K
Noctua D15 Chromax Black CPU Cooler
DDR5 6000 CL30 32GB (2x16GB)
Samsung Evo Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD for O/S
Samsung Evo Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD for storage
Lian Li LANCOOL III

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z790-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022
What's your full tower ATX case?

I like the first (old) build in this thread because it has 'side intake' which will help cool gpu.

■Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022-WW Black Aluminum ATX Super Tower Computer Case

Of course the choice is absolutely yours however you could browse the chassis market for a selection of features. Just saying, 'side intake' might be a nice to have with it.

You know you need a new ATX 3.0 standard PSU for the 4000 series? I haven't browsed that market. People are saying be cautious of 3 or 4 way power splitters. Jay's 2 Cents not sure if they've even got around to testing and reviewing it yet. Seasonic haven't even launched an ATX 3.0 yet says dec 2022.

Why the 2 8tb HDD? If you're moving large amounts of data around sure you want to do it at Sata 3 hdd speeds? That's also a lot of capacity to fail in one lump.

What else could you get for $350ish? You could get about 4tb of n.v.m.e for about $500 retail unless you know any of any bargains around.

You have 1 pci-e 5.0 drive port and 4x PCI-e 4.0 n.v.m.e's on your mobo. So 4 of those samsungs and 1 5.0 n.v.m.e when you've figured out what that is. If it's even launched yet? For about 10tb of storage. Obviously more is expensive.

Can't imagine what you could use for backup with that amount of data. Only know it would have to be expensive to be fast.

A 32 thread cpu and ddr5 ram is expensive and you could easily achieve a more optimized gaming performance with a 12th gen build. Like an i7-12700.

If you're only gaming half the threads will be idle most of the time and may never be used so it's paying for a double garage when you've only got one mini coupe. Playing a game on a 32 thread cpu is like playing ping pong on a football field.

Well you could keep the z790 mobo if you want to keep the ddr 5 option open and since you have the dosh, why not? Just build tighter.

So you know that a game won't utilize 32 threads and probably nothing else you do will either? Unless you fancy dabbling in the world of 3d rendering.

Sure that's 64mb of ram? You mean Gigabyte (GB)? 64gig's a lot for gaming. Most people get by on 16gb and nice to have 32gb for other shtuff sometimes.

What else? Well you can slice off the 1600w psu and wait for ATX 3.0 while you think about ways to slice off cost of CPU and stick it on the vast amount of storage you want and maybe a backup device and trim the amount of memory to 16-32gb and stick it on to a nice featured case with also side intake and buy a nice monitor kyb and mouse and gaming headset and chair probably.

Not sure that ATX 3.0 PSU will be needed with the 4000 series GPUs:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/xk0izw/rtx_40_announcement_does_anyone_know_if_nonatx_30/

https://www.techpowerup.com/299096/...-cooler-pcb-design-new-power-spike-management

DavidM012

Distinguished
You can test it if you want. It's only advice to rather wait and see what has been tested. If you are prepared to face the potential problems of non-compliance with new designs and standards. My guess would be it won't be a hassle free experience.

Also science will ask to crowdsource your spare threads.

Last edited: