[SOLVED] New rebuild help

Sep 21, 2020
Hello all need a little advice. I’m upgrading my current pc. Replacing motherboard and cpu and adding a m.2 ssd. I’m wanting to just start fresh. move my OS to the m.2 and reformat all the drives clean that way I know everything is the way I want it. What steps should I take and in what order? I’ve got the pc hardware part as I’ve built a few PCs . But it’s always been with a fresh copy of windows from a boot drive thats new. Never moved the OS and cleaned the drives to start fresh always started with all new hardware lol thanks

Solution
Make sure you tie your license to a MS account and then re-sign back in with the same accounts.
No guarantees in terms of moving an OEM license, but it can be done. You may have to use the activation troubleshooter or live chat function to have MS activate it for you..... it can be done, but I'd say chances are 50/50 of a problem-free activation.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Moving the OS and clean installing are two different things - So you either want to move (clone) or reinstall.

With new hardware, on a new SSD, I'd suggest a clean installation. Cloning takes the good/bad/ugly from your current install.

Create bootable Windows install media with a USB drive on your old system. Build the new, only connect your new SSD and install Windows, install drivers etc. At that point, connect your old drive & migrate any files etc you want to keep. Once you're 100% sure you've got all you need (and you have an external backup.... Right?) you can format the 'old' drive to be used as secondary storage.

Sep 21, 2020
Yeah I’m wanting to do a clean install. Just to pretty much start fresh. So I guess I’ll make a bootable usb. I’m hoping I can get that accomplished my old computer I’m updating is a Lenovo legion gaming pc I’ve heard that it my have a OEM license key witch windows may give me trouble with.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Make sure you tie your license to a MS account and then re-sign back in with the same accounts.
No guarantees in terms of moving an OEM license, but it can be done. You may have to use the activation troubleshooter or live chat function to have MS activate it for you..... it can be done, but I'd say chances are 50/50 of a problem-free activation.

Solution
Sep 21, 2020
Yeah I’m wanting to do a clean install. Just to pretty much start fresh. So I guess I’ll make a bootable usb. I’m hoping I can get that accomplished my old computer I’m updating is a Lenovo legion gaming pc I’ve heard that it my have a OEM license key witch windows may give me trouble with.
For sure who wants to pay 139 bucks for windows. I’ll do everything I can to reuse the windows key from this machine. Thanks for the reply’s appreciate the help.