Question New RGB RAM makes computer shut down when booting

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have a very annoying problem and after several tests in order to figure it out I am out of ideas. I ordered a new 16GB RAM kit last week to upgrade from my Corsair LPX 3000 C16 to G.Skill Trident 3200 C14 RGB (both two 8GB modules) but the new RAM is causing strange behaviour. The issue is this:

-When I turn on the computer it suddenly turns back off after 1 seconds and restarts normally after a couple of seconds.

-After that everything seems to be fine but when I restart windows (windows menu->restart) it turns off again for a couple of seconds and then restarts normally.

-If I put the computer to sleep (windows menu->sleep) everything is fine and if I wake it up and restart it (windows menu->restart) it doesn't turn off but if I restart again without putting it to sleep before it does turn off.

So

start=shutdown and turn on
restart= shutdown and turn on
sleep+restart=no shutdown
sleep+restart+restart=shutdown and turn on

I tried with only one module at a time and the problem was not there anymore so it's only with the 2x8GB.

Since my old Corsair LPX 3000 C16 is not doing this shutdown issue I decided to order a Corsair LPX 3200 C14 RGB but I get the exact same issue that I have with the G.Skill kit. I did the same tests and no difference at all the shutdown happens in the same condition that I listed above.

Also the problem happens whatever I reset the BIOS to default or if I load the xmp profile. My old Corsair 3000 C16 was OC at 3200MHz and as I said no problem at all with this kit so it's unlikely to be the frequency. It's why I suspect that it's either the RGB or the Latency because those are the only differences with my old kit. My power supply is a 650 Watt and an online power supply calculator says that I need 520 Watt for my system so I should have more than enough. I also tried to disable AURA and Fast Boot in the BIOS but it didn't do any difference.

I am really desperate and I would apreciate if someone could give me a hint. Thanks!

My Specs:

Thermaltake Versa N21 Onyx Edition case
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
AMD Ryzen 3700x
NZXT Kraken X52 cooler
(2x8 Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 (no problem))
(2x8 Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB DDR4 3200 C14 (problem))
(2x8 Gb G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3200 C14 (problem))
Samsung 970 EVO Plus - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (system drive)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008 (backup drive)
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Corsair CX650 PSU

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
My BIOS version is the latest 2606 that has been released on August 15.

I tried to go back to the previous one and when I did that the shutdown problem disappeared but an even worse one occurred: when loading the xmp profile the computer doesn't boot at all.

So the new BIOS version did some improvement but introduced this shutdown issue. I know Asus is messing up with the memory on their X470 boards right now to make it work with the Ryzen 3700x so I am wondering if I should wait for the next BIOS version and hope it will solve the problem or if I should not take the risk and get a refund for the Corsair RGB kit before the Amazon return deadline (I already got a refund for the G.Skilll one).

I really like this kit and the RGB is awesome so I would really like it to work properly because I don't think it's very healthy for the computer to shutdown like that every time I start or restart it.

Edit:

I noticed that when I reset the BIOS with the button on the back of the motherboard before the cold start it doesn't shutdown but only for that single time. If I get out from the BIOS without changing anything and I restart (or turn off and power on) the shutdown happens again. So it's really like the BIOS needs to have some setting already loaded in memory otherwise it needs to shutdown before to boot. I read that this kind of problem could be related to the Erp settings but I don't understand why the problem occurs only with the RGB CL14 ram and not with my no-RGB CL16 ram.

Speaking of the CL14, I said in my first message that I was suspecting it to be the problem so I tried a much higher timing configuration (the default one when I set the RAM speed manually to 3200 MHz instead of loading the XMP profile) and the problem is still there so it's not the CAS.

I also tried to turn off the RGB on the RAM modules and no effect at all, still same issue.

Last edited:

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
I just found something about that issue on the Asus forum:

"I'm experiencing some issues with this new bios (2606). I have a ryzen 3600 on a c7h and when I try to overclock the ram (G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16) to 3200mhz (default value is 2133mhz) it reboots the computer twice when I restart and when I turn it on it always cold boots twice too" Rayken8

"What you are experiencing is normal for this UEFI version. It does it for everyone. If it posts and boots into windows than you are fine." Othello

"The multiple POSTs on UEFI 2606 seem like training process POSTs" gupsterg

So I guess I can safely keep my new RAM kit and hopefully this rebooting thing will disappear in the next BIOS update.

TRENDING THREADS