• 2GB!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 4GB

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Around April I will be upgrading to an e8400, and using my old 7900 GS. Unfortunately, my old crap DDR2-533 RAM that I bought a couple of years ago won't work in my new mobo. (I will be building a separate computer off of my old rig with the old RAM though, so don't tell me how I can make the old RAM work in the new mobo :p) I am on a really low budget, and upgrading to the e8400 is a huge stretch for me, so I am trying to decide weather to buy a 2x2GB set of RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122) for $90 or a 2x1GB set of RAM (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820231098) for $45. Could I expect very much extra FPS in games with more RAM? Or any faster converting/saving videos and audio, graphic rendering, etc. And general use in Ubuntu Studio 64-bit? I am aware of the 4.3GB total memory limit in 32 bit operating systems (I'm using XP Home for gaming). I am not an overclocker either, if that should mean anything for this decision. Thanks.

acidpython

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
wouldn't really mean much in gaming so i wouldn't let that sway your decision. If you think you would need the extra RAM (heavier multitasking) then go for it, DDR2 is fairly cheap today. If you just do gaming and maybe normal office work you won't need the extra 2GB especially in ubuntu. I would only recommend the extra 2GB in vista.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
With converting audio and video, and rendering graphics, the programs that do it tend to love more RAM. I do a lot of work with TerraGen and I really noticed a difference when I went from 2GB to 4GB in my work machine. As far as gaming is concerned, the extra 2GB would help a little but not enough if it's the only reason to upgrade.

My opinion: grab yourself 4GB of CL4 RAM and your conversion and rendering programs will thank you

There are a few games (like oblivion, etc) that can utilize more ram (really 2gb just for the game, the rest for the OS). It does keep the "shutter" down alot. There's just not much difference in 32-bit vs 64-bit OS. I"m still using XP 32bit myself....